Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Forward/backward overlay arrow

Re: Forward/backward overlay arrow

Jonathan N. Little

Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> Who is Mike Yetto? A Google search on his name has a Facebook
> page as the first hit. I do not know enough to know whether this is
> irony.
>
> I am a frequent contributor to the RISKS List. Most of what I
> submit comes from computing industry articles. There are all too many
> reports of YA Facebook security issue.

Over on the Linux NGs that always injects a quip between his first and
last name in the fashion you that just did...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Gene Wirchenko

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:55:39 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>
>> Who is Mike Yetto? A Google search on his name has a Facebook
>> page as the first hit. I do not know enough to know whether this is
>> irony.
>>
>> I am a frequent contributor to the RISKS List. Most of what I
>> submit comes from computing industry articles. There are all too many
>> reports of YA Facebook security issue.

>Over on the Linux NGs that always injects a quip between his first and
>last name in the fashion you that just did...

No, I have done it independently, but these days, I follow David
DeLaney in rec.arts.sf.written who often does it.

Sincerely,

Gene "TODO: insert witty quip here" Wirchenko

Peter

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
> says...
> > Is it? At what cost, to blot your nice pictures with these big ugly
> > things every single time one looks at them and moves forward? Perhaps
> > I am unusually sensitive.
> >
> > These popups leave lasting impressions on my visual system, I have to
> > shake my head to get rid of the after-images of them to settle down to
> > enjoy the next picture. <g>

> Now the arrows are outside the image:
> http://www.molon.de/galleries/Iran/K...img.php?pic=12
>
> Also my wife complained about the arrows inside the image...

Personally, I think it look good. I think you should keep it. Now, back
to the html coding...

--
Pete Ives

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
> says...
> > Not necessarily. They have the advantage of staying put. Instead of
> > having so many ways to go back and forth, why not make those top ones
> > a little bigger and maybe centralise them a little and dispense with
> > all other ways to do the same thing. Less is often more.

> Well, I like the idea of having navigation controls (prev, next, one
> level higher) on the image.

I am used to people disagreeing with me. It's OK!

> It allows people to concentrate on the image
> instead of having to look for the controls in the top menu bar.

I can't see this myself. Why would the absence of hovering navigation
stop concentration? Why would their presence not add to the
distractions there are in the situation? One needs to move the mouse
and one needs to move it to possibly different places if the pics are
differently sized or aspected and one needs to be doing this all the
time. What could possibly be simpler and clearer than the permanent
arrows at the top, especially if they are centralised and enlarges a
bit?

Anyway, the desire on the whole modern world to think more is more is
nothing I can do anything about. I watch helplessly and wait for the
day when I rule the world. Then, everything will be different and
simpler. There will even be a far smaller gap between rich and poor, a
little extra feature I will throw in for the benefit of humans and to
mark out my reign.

> But it's also a good idea to make these navigation arrows in the top
> menu bar much bigger, for instance by taking away the round logo and
> using the space for arrows.
> The same navigation mechanism would also be on the thumbnail pages, to
> be duplicated also at the bottom of the pages, so that people do not
> have to scroll up if they scrolled to the bottom.

There is no real end to the facilities you can add. I once made each
pic a link to the next and *personally* found it convenient.

> The only question mark is then where to put my logo or "brand identity",
> something like "photos by Alfred" or "molon.de".

Anywhere but smack bang on your pictures. Keep it simple, keep it
uncluttered.

btw make your portrait pics smaller so that people do not have to
scroll to see (you can always link to bigger for those who want).

--
dorayme