Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > What would happen if your destructors aren't get called?

What would happen if your destructors aren't get called?

MikeWhy

"Stefan Ram" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Ian Collins <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>I doubt anyone runs windows in safety critical systems

> See also
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMCS#SM...or_Warships.22

[... 'pro-UNIX' engineers felt that open source UNIX rather than Microsoft
Windows should be used as the foundation of future naval command systems and
circulated their concerns within the company.]

I don't see how this conversation can have a good ending.

Ian Collins

On 02/ 5/12 08:41 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> Ian Collins<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> A C++ conformance body should control the vendors.

>> How?

> When a supplier sells a product under the name »C++ compiler«,
> and this is not a C++ compiler, the customer might be entitled
> to some compensation in some countries?

Define "not a C++ compiler".

Unlike Ada, there isn't a standard validation procedure for C++. If
there was, C++ would probably have the same level of support and
popularity as Ada. Producing a validated compiler is an extremely
expensive process, as is producing the validation suite.

--
Ian Collins

Stefan Ram

Ian Collins <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>>How?

>>When a supplier sells a product under the name »C++ compiler«,
>>and this is not a C++ compiler, the customer might be entitled
>>to some compensation in some countries?

>Define "not a C++ compiler".

Such a definition will be designed by the court,
in case someone sues, in such countries.

Ian Collins

On 02/ 4/12 12:11 PM, Joshua Maurice wrote:
> On Feb 3, 3:05 pm, Ian Collins<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 02/ 4/12 12:01 PM, U.Mutlu wrote:
>>
>> <Snip OT rant>
>>
>>> How can Microsoft sell such a buggy product and call it "C++ compiler"?

>> Show me a bug free compiler and I'll show you a flying pig.

> Well, now that my name has been invoked, suppose I should say
> something.
>
> It doesn't seem like the cited bug with my description is your bug.
> They sound like unrelated issues. Can you provide a minimal repro case
> so we can verify it's a compiler bug?

Not me, I don't use windows...

--
Ian Collins

Gernot Frisch

> in my case the destructor of a globally used class isn't called

I had lots of problems with global objects, because their c'tors are called
even before the CRT was initialized and so on. Also, the memory leak tools
usually don't get them right.

So, I switched from using global objects to somehting like:
object& global_object()
{
static object o;
return o;