Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: ISP opinions

Re: ISP opinions

Geopelia

news:jh1r9n$oon$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
>> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> 3G = by cellphone.

>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
>> But it could be worth considering later.

> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
> cheaper than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly
> soul from this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that*
> path. Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead.
> :-/
>
> I hope you're well.

Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any younger!
I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the phone itself,
it's all these various plans that look so confusing and expensive. I would
only use a cellphone when away from home to check on Hubby, anyway, and he
has got the St John button for emergencies.

But I need a large monitor and printer, so for the internet I might as well
keep this computer.

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
news:4f34bb19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 10/02/12 14:18, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
>>> "whoisthis"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
>>> But it could be worth considering later.

>> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
>> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
>> cheaper
>> than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul
>> from
>> this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
>> Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/
>>

> Geo, I second what Shaun says.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Thank you.

Enkidu

On 11/02/12 00:36, Geopelia wrote:

> Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any younger!
> I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the phone itself,
> it's all these various plans that look so confusing and expensive. I would
> only use a cellphone when away from home to check on Hubby, anyway, and he
> has got the St John button for emergencies.

A cellphone is one of those devices that doesn't seem to be all that
useful, but which one soon comes to deem essential. You have a star
reason above - if you want to contact Hubby or vice versa and it is NOT
a medical emergency, then you can use the cellphone - even if you are
merely in different aisles of the supermarket. For arthritis sufferers
there are special cellphones I believe. You also don't *have* to have a
plan - you can do pay-as-you-go and buy top ups at most supermarkets.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jh1r9n$oon$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
>>> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just
>>> now. But it could be worth considering later.

>> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away
>> when a cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use
>> will be cheaper than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest
>> enlisting a kindly soul from this group for a few hours before you
>> went looking down *that* path. Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead
>> down the garden path instead. :-/
>>
>> I hope you're well.

> Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any
> younger!

Ditto to that one, although it seems we're going to have a few cooler days.

> I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the
> phone itself, it's all these various plans that look so confusing and
> expensive. I would only use a cellphone when away from home to check
> on Hubby, anyway, and he has got the St John button for emergencies.

Hmmm, in that case, if you followed through with my idea you'd need two cell
phones; One for you, on a plan so you can get data and another pre-pay for
Hubby. A pre-pay can cost as little as $20 / year if it's just being used to
accept calls. Some plans might even give you a second handset for Hubby
without charging much, if any extra instead of the pre-pay option.

However it would take some research and perhaps some bartering, going from
one company to another. Hence my suggestion of a 'helper' who understands
your needs and is on your side, who can check the 'fine print' and look for
things like outrageous over-data charges etcetera.

> But I need a large monitor and printer, so for the internet I might
> as well keep this computer.

I'm not suggesting that you use a smart-phone proper for internet access. (I
could never use one as a primary internet device, only as a back-up, *if* I
could afford it... Even then I have more pressing needs for money than a
smart-phone for mobile interwebs access) However, with the right cell-phone
data plan you could keep using your existing computer only instead of
plugging it into the wall you'd either plug a wee stick like a USB 'thumb
drive' or actually connect to your cell phone (with the right cable).

I'm not sure how prices stand at the moment but, the scenario I described
above wouldn't cost much more than what you're currently paying for phone
and internet, maybe even less (and it includes a handset for Hubby at home
when you're out). Also, it's only going to get cheaper...

Just throwing some ideas around Geo.

Is the St John button dependant on the land-line? If so then I think that
there's a possibility that you could get the land-line funded for you (and
scratch all of the above <g>).

Best,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Frank Williams

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:27:59 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:jgvue1$gqc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2/9/2012 12:14 AM, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> The phone part is the expensive part.

>> Agreed, that's why I dont buy one.
>>
>> If you are only using a couple of gigs then a 3G connection is quite a
>> viable option.

>How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
>Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

Cable connection or a Very expensive Slow 3G Cell phone network..

Frank Williams

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:37:13 +1300, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:

>On 10/02/12 14:18, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
>>> "whoisthis"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
>>> But it could be worth considering later.

>> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
>> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be cheaper
>> than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul from
>> this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
>> Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/
>>

>Geo, I second what Shaun says.

I would not even give it a Mark from this Chap, he has not got a Clue,
Cell phone data will never ever be cheap..

>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

Frank Williams

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:54:55 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2/10/2012 10:27 AM, Geopelia wrote:
>> How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
>> Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

>Naked DSL, Actually the slingshot connection I have for my bulk
>downloading has a phoneline with it since it was needed at the time to
>get the flatrate plan, but I dont even have a phone plugged into it
>since landlines are so expensive to use compared to a mobile.

Not for a Business that makes 1000 of calls a day, then you don't state
that you have to have a 2 year Cell Phone contract at least

Frank Williams

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:36:01 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:jh1r9n$oon$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
>>> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
>>> But it could be worth considering later.

>> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
>> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
>> cheaper than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly
>> soul from this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that*
>> path. Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead.
>> :-/
>>
>> I hope you're well.

>Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any younger!
>I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the phone itself,
>it's all these various plans that look so confusing and expensive. I would
>only use a cellphone when away from home to check on Hubby, anyway, and he
>has got the St John button for emergencies.
>
>But I need a large monitor and printer, so for the internet I might as well
>keep this computer.

Just get a 2o Cheap PRE PAID phone, but then again in most cases Cell
phones are not needed, I have a touch screen 2G/WiFi model that is Only
used for my wife to contact me when she needs picking up, that is all
you need No Plan at all so you are not wasting money on a plan that you
will never use.

What is the Highest Addiction on OZZ, no its not Drugs but Cell
Phones..

Frank Williams

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:36:49 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
>news:4f34bb19$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
>>> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
>>> cheaper
>>> than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul
>>> from
>>> this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
>>> Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/
>>>

>> Geo, I second what Shaun says.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>

>Thank you.

THIS IS TOTTAL CRAP.

Frank Williams

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:26:19 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <jh2vfc$iqt$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jh1r9n$oon$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
>> > cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be
>> > cheaper than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly
>> > soul from this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that*
>> > path. Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead.
>> > :-/
>> >
>> > I hope you're well.

>> Thank you, yes I'm well but feeling the heat, and not getting any younger!
>> I'll ask here if we decide to get a cellphone. It's not the phone itself,
>> it's all these various plans that look so confusing and expensive. I would
>> only use a cellphone when away from home to check on Hubby, anyway, and he
>> has got the St John button for emergencies.
>>
>> But I need a large monitor and printer, so for the internet I might as well
>> keep this computer.

>The cellphone will be replacing the ADSL modem, not the computer and
>printer. When we are out and about I use my laptop with my cellphone so
>I can stay in contact with various people and still do some work.

No No far to dear..