Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > How does code metrics affect your motivation? Academic survey

How does code metrics affect your motivation? Academic survey

RLC

I am conducting research on the effects source code quality
measurements have on developersí general motivation and well-being.

If you write code for a living, please give us just a few minutes of
your time and respond to this questionnaire.

http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=46061csldl

Many thanks,

Roi

Nick Keighley

On Jan 31, 7:54*pm, RLC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am conducting research on the effects source code quality
> measurements have on developersí general motivation and well-being.
>
> If you write code for a living, please give us just a few minutes of
> your time and respond to this questionnaire.
>
> http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=46061csldl

the examples they give arefrom a particular tool. It smells like
advertising for the particular tool.

Victor Bazarov

On 2/1/2012 9:31 AM, Nick Keighley wrote:
> On Jan 31, 7:54 pm, RLC<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am conducting research on the effects source code quality
>> measurements have on developersí general motivation and well-being.
>>
>> If you write code for a living, please give us just a few minutes of
>> your time and respond to this questionnaire.
>>
>> http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=46061csldl

> the examples they give arefrom a particular tool. It smells like
> advertising for the particular tool.

The advertising is probably very immaturely made, then. I've gone
there, answered questions, and I can't recall either the name of the
tool or their publisher... Nor do I care for those, really.

Jorgen Grahn

On Wed, 2012-02-01, Victor Bazarov wrote:
> On 2/1/2012 9:31 AM, Nick Keighley wrote:
>> On Jan 31, 7:54 pm, RLC<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I am conducting research on the effects source code quality
>>> measurements have on developers? general motivation and well-being.
>>>
>>> If you write code for a living, please give us just a few minutes of
>>> your time and respond to this questionnaire.
>>>
>>> http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=46061csldl

>> the examples they give arefrom a particular tool. It smells like
>> advertising for the particular tool.

> The advertising is probably very immaturely made, then. I've gone
> there, answered questions, and I can't recall either the name of the
> tool or their publisher... Nor do I care for those, really.

I went there, answered questions ... and wondered how well *percieved*
quality and metrics from some tool correlate. Sure, I want more focus
on code quality, but I think I'd prefer to have myself and my coworkers
say what's acceptable and what's not.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Nick Keighley

On Feb 1, 6:02*pm, Jorgen Grahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-01, Victor Bazarov wrote:

> >> the examples they give arefrom a particular tool. It smells like
> >> advertising for the particular tool.

> > The advertising is probably very immaturely made, then. *I've gone
> > there, answered questions, and I can't recall either the name of the
> > tool or their publisher... *Nor do I care for those, really.

> I went there, answered questions ... and wondered how well *percieved*
> quality and metrics from some tool correlate. *Sure, I want more focus
> on code quality, but I think I'd prefer to have myself and my coworkers
> say what's acceptable and what's not.

I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
some value for "complexity". But when I've had such things readily
available I didn't make great use of them. I can also imagine the
reaction to making such things compulsary (moaning and whining,
followed by malicious compliance)

Miles Bader

Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
> potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
> some value for "complexity". But when I've had such things readily
> available I didn't make great use of them.

Hmm, that's a nice-sounding metric, as it's really simple to calculate
for typical programming languages, and probably is useful for the
purpose you state.

You're right that most people aren't going to be tracking such info
constantly, but still, every once in a while one tends to go into
"spring-cleaning mode", and it's nice to have such tools available then.

-Miles

--
80% of success is just showing up. --Woody Allen

Bill Davy

"Miles Bader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
>> potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
>> some value for "complexity". But when I've had such things readily
>> available I didn't make great use of them.

> Hmm, that's a nice-sounding metric, as it's really simple to calculate
> for typical programming languages, and probably is useful for the
> purpose you state.
>
> You're right that most people aren't going to be tracking such info
> constantly, but still, every once in a while one tends to go into
> "spring-cleaning mode", and it's nice to have such tools available then.
>
> -Miles
>
> --
> 80% of success is just showing up. --Woody Allen

I use http://www.campwoodsw.com/sourcemonitor.html (donations welcome) if I
have time. It is easy to set up and use. Then just check the functions
with the worst stats. I wish there was some way of making it happier about
large switch statemenst (as used to implement FSM quite cleanly and simply).

And although it does not produce "metrics" as such (imho), PC-Lint is a very
worthwhile tool as well.

Joe keane

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
>potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
>some value for "complexity".

As well; "nm -s" works fine for me. I'm not a big fan of 'all gt <NoIS>
are wrong'; some functions should be, but it is nice to point out when
asomething has escaped your notice.

Nick Keighley

On Feb 4, 1:26*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Joe keane) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)..com>,
> Nick Keighley *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
> >potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
> >some value for "complexity".

> As well; "nm -s" works fine for me. *I'm not a big fan of 'all gt <NoIS>
> are wrong'; some functions should be, but it is nice to point out when
> asomething has escaped your notice.

what I meant to be my point. A 100LOC function isn't neccesarily
wrong. But its a warning notice and should be looked at hard.

ILostMyKeys

Nick Keighley wrote:
> On Feb 4, 1:26 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Joe keane) wrote:
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
>>> potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or
>>> exceed some value for "complexity".

>> As well; "nm -s" works fine for me. I'm not a big fan of 'all gt
>> <NoIS>
>> are wrong'; some functions should be, but it is nice to point out
>> when asomething has escaped your notice.

> what I meant to be my point. A 100LOC function isn't neccesarily
> wrong. But its a warning notice and should be looked at hard.

Why are you here?