Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP via Cell Phone?

Reply
Thread Tools

VOIP via Cell Phone?

 
 
(PeteCresswell)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-31-2012
I think I know the answer, but does anybody know of a service
where one pays a monthly fee or buys prepaid minutes and their
cell phone makes/receives calls via a separate VOIP provider
instead of over the cell provider's network?

The rationale would be insulation from robocalls - which are
becoming more than just a nuisance for some.

i.e. With the VOIP service, one could set up a voice menu "Press
1 for Joe, Press 2 for Sue, Press 3 for......" which could defeat
robocalls to the extent that they could not even leave
voicemails.
--
Pete Cresswell
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
(PeteCresswell)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-31-2012
Per alexd:
>(PeteCresswell) (for it is he) wrote:
>
>> I think I know the answer, but does anybody know of a service
>> where one pays a monthly fee or buys prepaid minutes and their
>> cell phone makes/receives calls via a separate VOIP provider
>> instead of over the cell provider's network?

>
>Yeah, looks like it but I haven't used it myself:
>
> http://aa.net.uk/kb-telecoms-sip2sim.html


That looks like *exactly* what I was hoping for.

Didn't really expect it tb possible... but there it is.

And the rates look *really* reasonable....

Thanks!
--
Pete Cresswell
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2012
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(PeteCresswell) (for it is he) wrote:
>
>> Didn't really expect it tb possible... but there it is.
>>
>> And the rates look *really* reasonable....

>
>I think they're reselling AQL or Three's product so there may be others who
>sell it too.


I think Gradwell are also offering something similar.

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2012
On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 21:45:38 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I think I know the answer, but does anybody know of a service
>> where one pays a monthly fee or buys prepaid minutes and their
>> cell phone makes/receives calls via a separate VOIP provider
>> instead of over the cell provider's network?
>>
>> The rationale would be insulation from robocalls - which are
>> becoming more than just a nuisance for some.
>>
>> i.e. With the VOIP service, one could set up a voice menu "Press
>> 1 for Joe, Press 2 for Sue, Press 3 for......" which could defeat
>> robocalls to the extent that they could not even leave
>> voicemails.
>> --
>> Pete Cresswell

>
>High end Nokia's support VOIP native. Voipfone works over 3g, although you
>will need a contract that allows it or they will cut you off. The phone
>sends or receives calls on either [GSM / UMTS or VOIP].
>



The Skype to SIP gateway I set up three years ago is still going
strong and in use every day.
The machine it runs on has now got Windows 7 on it, I couldn't get
the gateway to run so it runs in a XP Virtual machine using a modest
256 MB of physical memory.
http://skypegateway.webs.com/



--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Davies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2012
"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I think I know the answer, but does anybody know of a service
> where one pays a monthly fee or buys prepaid minutes and their
> cell phone makes/receives calls via a separate VOIP provider
> instead of over the cell provider's network?


I've installed a couple of apps on my smartphone that let me do exactly
this. "Sipdroid" works well with Sipgate as the VoIP provider. Inbound
and outbound. I'm currently trying out the SMSListo (Finarea) app, as
it seems a lot more lightweight and my HTC doesn't struggle with it so
much. Downside is that it's outbound calls only but that's not currently
a problem for me.

Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
(PeteCresswell)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2012
Per R. Mark Clayton:
>High end Nokia's support VOIP native. Voipfone works over 3g, although you
>will need a contract that allows it or they will cut you off.


Sounds promising.

I wonder how the rates stack up - i.e. how many k of data at what
cost matches up to a minute of conventional phone billing.
--
Pete Cresswell
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Woodhouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2012
On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 17:00 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per alexd:
> >(PeteCresswell) (for it is he) wrote:
> >
> >> I think I know the answer, but does anybody know of a service
> >> where one pays a monthly fee or buys prepaid minutes and their
> >> cell phone makes/receives calls via a separate VOIP provider
> >> instead of over the cell provider's network?

> >
> >Yeah, looks like it but I haven't used it myself:
> >
> > http://aa.net.uk/kb-telecoms-sip2sim.html

>
> That looks like *exactly* what I was hoping for.
>
> Didn't really expect it tb possible... but there it is.
>
> And the rates look *really* reasonable....
>
> Thanks!


Note that the A&A service is on the Three network, and doesn't have any
2G fallback. You'll *only* get service if you're lucky enough to have 3G
coverage. It doesn't even do UMA.

And when you have 3G coverage, you mostly have a good enough data
connection just to make VoIP calls directly from the handset as *VoIP*
anyway.

I'm not sure that's exactly what you asked for anyway. It goes over the
cell provider's network and from there to the VoIP service of your
choice. If you want VoIP *instead* of the cell network (using wifi or
maybe 3G data), then just get a decent phone and it should support it
out of the box. Or install an app to do it.

--
dwmw2

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell / VoIP via WiFi Dual Mode Christopher VOIP 0 12-30-2005 04:15 AM



Advertisments