Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How do I upgrade XP

How do I upgrade XP

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Auld Phostle wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:30:22 +1300, Frank Williams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
>> From what I have been reading that XP app's in Virtual PC is Very
>> limited and you need a CPU that supports it, Plus does this get
>> loaded every time I boot up.

> Virtual PC does not need a CPU that supports it. Virtual PC has not
> needed this for nearly 2 years.

LOL, yeah, really nice of Microsoft to do that, just two weeks after I'd
spent over $150 on a 'new' CPU that supports virtualisation technology and
upgraded my laptop for that very purpose. :-/
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <jgcs33$7m9$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>Oi! I stopped reading nz.gen to get away from all of the political shite.
>Please don't drag it into nz.comp as well. As I used to point out when I
>*was* an inmate of the looney bin, there's actually an nz.politics
>newsfroup....

Yep ... though they drifted into .gen when people stopped paying the
politics group any attention. Says enough really, doesn't it.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <jgcs33$7m9$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote: (snip)
>> Oi! I stopped reading nz.gen to get away from all of the political
>> shite. Please don't drag it into nz.comp as well. As I used to point
>> out when I *was* an inmate of the looney bin, there's actually an
>> nz.politics newsfroup....

> Yep ... though they drifted into .gen when people stopped paying the
> politics group any attention. Says enough really, doesn't it.

Heh! If only it did.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Frank Williams

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:29:08 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2/02/2012 9:35 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:19:41 +1300, Auld Phostle
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Why do you not post a link, so we can all see if your info is more
>>> reliable than Microsoft Answers.

>> I visited some 50 forums or more on a variety of subjects so do you
>> think I would remember the link, lets get real.
>>
>>> Microsoft Answers says you are wrong.

>> No I posted what I had READ..
>>
>> And don't get off the real reason that I posted was how to I upgrade XP
>> to Pro..
>>

>As stated earlier you don't need to. And because of your extremely ****
>attitude I won't bother telling you how to do so without a reinstall either.

Knowing what you are like I would not expect either, this normal
attitude of a small minded little boy.

Did Mummy take your rattle away today..?

Dave Doe

In article <jgd512$a5i$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Auld Phostle wrote:
> > On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:30:22 +1300, Frank Williams
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [snip]
> >> From what I have been reading that XP app's in Virtual PC is Very
> >> limited and you need a CPU that supports it, Plus does this get
> >> loaded every time I boot up.

> > Virtual PC does not need a CPU that supports it. Virtual PC has not
> > needed this for nearly 2 years.

> LOL, yeah, really nice of Microsoft to do that, just two weeks after I'd
> spent over $150 on a 'new' CPU that supports virtualisation technology and
> upgraded my laptop for that very purpose. :-/

Ah well - just think how much faster it now runs though

--
Duncan.

Frank Williams

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:29:08 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2/02/2012 9:35 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:19:41 +1300, Auld Phostle
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As stated earlier you don't need to. And because of your extremely ****
>attitude I won't bother telling you how to do so without a reinstall either.

Tell me does EMB stand for Extra Miserable Bastard as it seems to
fit..?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <jgd512$a5i$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...
>>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Auld Phostle wrote:
>>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:30:22 +1300, Frank Williams
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Virtual PC does not need a CPU that supports it. Virtual PC has not
>>> needed this for nearly 2 years.

>> LOL, yeah, really nice of Microsoft to do that, just two weeks after
>> I'd spent over $150 on a 'new' CPU that supports virtualisation
>> technology and upgraded my laptop for that very purpose. :-/

> Ah well - just think how much faster it now runs though

Heh! There is that.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Frank Williams

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:57:33 -0800 (PST), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jan 31, 7:04*pm, Possible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU * you need XP Pro to support it,
>> so how do I get this Legally..?
>>
>> Yes updating my old P4 *system..
>>
>> But I still need XP..

>... meanwhile back on planet earth ... have a Toshiba Sat Pro L500
>T4400 that came with Vista Home ultimate. I upgraded it some time ago
>with a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Win7 Pro. However it is 32bit.
>Supposedly this machine is 64bit capable. I can't see how I can go
>back and upgrade it to 64 bit. How do I obtain and perform such an
>upgrade Win7Pro32bit -> Win7Pro64bit ?
>
>TIA
>JohnO

And why would you need 64 bit..?

Dave Doe

In article <20b252b6-62b4-4bea-99fd-
(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), JohnO
says...

> On Jan 31, 7:04*pm, Possible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU * you need XP Pro to support it,
> > so how do I get this Legally..?
> >
> > Yes updating my old P4 *system..
> >
> > But I still need XP..

> ... meanwhile back on planet earth ... have a Toshiba Sat Pro L500
> T4400 that came with Vista Home ultimate. I upgraded it some time ago
> with a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Win7 Pro. However it is 32bit.
> Supposedly this machine is 64bit capable. I can't see how I can go
> back and upgrade it to 64 bit. How do I obtain and perform such an
> upgrade Win7Pro32bit -> Win7Pro64bit ?

Unless you have more than 4Gb RAM (and many would argue more), you
shouldn't do it. (64bit anything takes more address space and uses more
RAM vs 32bit).

Unless you run a very RAM intensive app or many apps simultaneously,
there is no advantage to running a 64bit OS.

It's the way of the future, but little to gain from it (indeed probably
a penalty), now. (Give it another year or two).

(Admittedly, I'm running Win7 64bit, LOL)

--
Duncan.

JohnO

On Feb 7, 6:11*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:57:33 -0800 (PST), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >On Jan 31, 7:04*pm, Possible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU * you need XP Pro to supportit,
> >> so how do I get this Legally..?

> >> Yes updating my old P4 *system..

> >> But I still need XP..

> >... meanwhile back on planet earth ... have a Toshiba Sat Pro L500
> >T4400 that came with Vista Home ultimate. I upgraded it some time ago
> >with a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Win7 Pro. However it is 32bit.
> >Supposedly this machine is 64bit capable. I can't see how I can go
> >back and upgrade it to 64 bit. How do I obtain and perform such an
> >upgrade Win7Pro32bit -> Win7Pro64bit ?

> >TIA
> >JohnO

> And why would you need 64 bit..?

Because Cisco VPN client just works better with the 64bit version. Its
a crappy bit of software but I have to use it because that's what my
clients have.