Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How do I upgrade XP

How do I upgrade XP

JohnO

On Feb 1, 10:27*am, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:35:41 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On 31/01/2012 7:04 p.m., Possible wrote:

> >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU * you need XP Pro to supportit,
> >> so how do I get this Legally..?

> >> Yes updating my old P4 *system..

> >> But I still need XP..

> >You're wrong as usual Woger. *XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
> >multiple physical CPUs.

> I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

LOL. You're funny, Woger.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, mutley2000
> @hotmail.com, Mutlley says...
>>
>> Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Possible says...

>>> Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you
>>> can run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

>> He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
>> Win 7.

> OK, noted that Woger is using yet another nym, Possible. Added to
> bozo bin - outta here

Heh! That one's still in my bin from last time he used it. I've been
exporting/importing killfiles from one install to another for years and
Woger's in there many, many times. In fact I think he's well over 50% of my
killfile / Blocked sender list under various guises.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Frank Williams

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 13:08:39 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, mutley2000
>@hotmail.com, Mutlley says...
>>
>> Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> >(E-Mail Removed), Possible says...

>> >Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
>> >run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

>> He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
>> Win 7.

>He *also* said he's updating it - and above that - I presumed from the
>multicore comment, it's a major update. (Isn't the P4 single-core? I
>think they produced a dual-core "Extreme Edition" release - the last of
>the P4's?).
>
>And anyway, Windows 7 has *great* hardware driver support!

Not for a HP Scanjet 5470c and a Epson R310 has limited support.

>Perhaps the OP can clarify on the updating details

ASrock Z68 Pro3-M with a i5-2500K 4 megs of ram, Aero cool Qs-200
case

I think that's sort of a Major update..

>PS: I run Win7 on an earlier Pentium, 1.6Gz CPU - an old laptop -
>because it supports the hardware better than XP. It's as slow as, but
>then it's only to provide a wee machine in the kitchen - music and
>internet etc.

Donchano

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 18:42:31 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On 1/02/2012 3:05 p.m., JohnO wrote:

>>> I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

>> LOL. You're funny, Woger.

>I'll bet he won't apologise for being wrong though.

Woger has all the self-awareness of an Act leader on a tax-payer
funded junket with a girl friend.

Donchano

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:32:58 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>>> I'll bet he won't apologise for being wrong though.

>> Woger has all the self-awareness of an Act leader on a tax-payer
>> funded junket with a girl friend.
>>

>Or a Labour MP visiting the Asia-Pacific Interfaith Cooperation for
>Peace and Harmony Conference with his boyfriend.

True.

Auld Phostle

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:27:08 +1300, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:35:41 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 31/01/2012 7:04 p.m., Possible wrote:
>>>
>>> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
>>> so how do I get this Legally..?
>>>
>>> Yes updating my old P4 system..
>>>
>>> But I still need XP..
>>>

>> You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
>> multiple physical CPUs.

> I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

Why do you not post a link, so we can all see if your info is more
reliable than Microsoft Answers.

Microsoft Answers says you are wrong.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2d45cec8a#last

XP Home does indeed support a dual core processor. Also, it is
considerably less expensive than XP Pro and is very similar. Unless
you must join a domain, you might as well go for the more affordable
XP Home.

AFAIK, the only way to purchase XP these days is from a reputable
business that is selling old stock. You might want to try Ebay and
only look at vendors with very high ratings.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-fbf93beb54e0

Microsoft's licensing policy limits the number of processors Windows
supports for its Home and Professional versions, as outlined below.
It's important to understand, however, that this is on a
per-processor basis, not a per-core basis. This means that, under the
licensing policy, a dual- or even quad-core processor counts as a
single processor---something that confused many people in the early
days of dual-core technology.

Auld Phostle

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:30:22 +1300, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 00:09:09 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed), Possible says...
>>>
>>> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
>>> so how do I get this Legally..?
>>>
>>> Yes updating my old P4 system..
>>>
>>> But I still need XP..

>> Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
>> run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

> From what I have been reading that XP app's in Virtual PC is Very
> limited and you need a CPU that supports it, Plus does this get loaded
> every time I boot up.

Virtual PC does not need a CPU that supports it. Virtual PC has not
needed this for nearly 2 years.

Methinks you are out of date and not keeping up. You info is past its
use by date.

Frank Williams

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:19:41 +1300, Auld Phostle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:27:08 +1300, Frank Williams
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
>>> multiple physical CPUs.

>> I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

>Why do you not post a link, so we can all see if your info is more
>reliable than Microsoft Answers.

I visited some 50 forums or more on a variety of subjects so do you
think I would remember the link, lets get real.

>Microsoft Answers says you are wrong.

No I posted what I had READ..

And don't get off the real reason that I posted was how to I upgrade XP
to Pro..

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:32:58 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
> from the highest rooftop:

>>> Woger has all the self-awareness of an Act leader on a tax-payer
>>> funded junket with a girl friend.
>>>

>> Or a Labour MP visiting the Asia-Pacific Interfaith Cooperation for
>> Peace and Harmony Conference with his boyfriend.

> True.

Oi! I stopped reading nz.gen to get away from all of the political shite.
Please don't drag it into nz.comp as well. As I used to point out when I
*was* an inmate of the looney bin, there's actually an nz.politics
newsfroup....

TYVMIA.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Donchano

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 15:23:25 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:32:58 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
>> from the highest rooftop:

>>> Or a Labour MP visiting the Asia-Pacific Interfaith Cooperation for
>>> Peace and Harmony Conference with his boyfriend.

>> True.

>Oi! I stopped reading nz.gen to get away from all of the political shite.
>Please don't drag it into nz.comp as well. As I used to point out when I
>*was* an inmate of the looney bin, there's actually an nz.politics
>newsfroup....
>
>TYVMIA.

Fair enough.