Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Nikon D700 and D300s now officially discontinued

Re: Nikon D700 and D300s now officially discontinued

Bruce

It's official, the Nikon D700 and D300s are discontinued.

An announcement for the D800 is due on February 7, 2011 but there is
no word yet on the D400 (D300 replacement).

The D800 will use a Sony 36 MP full frame sensor that is expected to
appear in the Sony A9* SLT, which hasn't appeared and may yet be
cancelled. The D400 will use the Sony 24 MP APS-C sensor used in the
Sony Alpha 77 and NEX-7 cameras.

Both cameras will have advanced video shooting features.

The $64,000 question is whether the D700 will be replaced by the D800,
whose low light performance won't be anywhere near as good, or by a
D700s or D700X with a lower pixel count and the same or better high
ISO performance.

(cross posted to rec.photo.digital)

Robert Coe

:
: An announcement for the D800 is due on February 7, 2011 but there is
: no word yet on the D400 (D300 replacement).
:
: The D800 will use a Sony 36 MP full frame sensor that is expected
: to appear in the Sony A9* SLT, which hasn't appeared and may yet
: be cancelled. The D400 will use the Sony 24 MP APS-C sensor used
: in the Sony Alpha 77 and NEX-7 cameras.
:
: Both cameras will have advanced video shooting features.
:
: The $64,000 question is whether the D700 will be replaced by the D800,
: whose low light performance won't be anywhere near as good, or by a
: D700s or D700X with a lower pixel count and the same or better high
: ISO performance.

Still nothing new from the Canon world, other than the out-of-my-reach 1DX?
Will I even get to consider a 5D3 this year? That's not quite the idle
question it once was, as my employer has just bought me a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
II. Not that it won't go nicely with my 7D and my 50D, of course. I'll be
testing and calibrating it this weekend and using it for the first time at the
opening of an art exhibit next week. :^)

Bob

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:30:23 +0000, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: It's official, the Nikon D700 and D300s are discontinued.
>:
>: An announcement for the D800 is due on February 7, 2011 but there is
>: no word yet on the D400 (D300 replacement).
>:
>: The D800 will use a Sony 36 MP full frame sensor that is expected
>: to appear in the Sony A9* SLT, which hasn't appeared and may yet
>: be cancelled. The D400 will use the Sony 24 MP APS-C sensor used
>: in the Sony Alpha 77 and NEX-7 cameras.
>:
>: Both cameras will have advanced video shooting features.
>:
>: The $64,000 question is whether the D700 will be replaced by the D800,
>: whose low light performance won't be anywhere near as good, or by a
>: D700s or D700X with a lower pixel count and the same or better high
>: ISO performance.
>
>Still nothing new from the Canon world, other than the out-of-my-reach 1DX?
>Will I even get to consider a 5D3 this year? That's not quite the idle
>question it once was, as my employer has just bought me a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
>II. Not that it won't go nicely with my 7D and my 50D, of course. I'll be
>testing and calibrating it this weekend and using it for the first time at the
>opening of an art exhibit next week. :^)

Lucky man! Well done, Bob.

Your patience has been rewarded ... the good news for Canon users is
that the 5D Mark III is not far away. It might even be announced in
the next couple of weeks. My guess would be around February 7-10, but
that is purely a guess based on when other Japanese manufacturers are
making product announcements.

In the last year, Canon has had some pros testing a DSLR with a sensor
of around 34.5 MP, but I don't know for sure whether the 5D III will
have this. It would not be the first time Canon has had sensors out
on trial that were later rejected. It just shows that Canon are
pretty thorough when it comes to development.

Latest sales figures from Japan show Canon leading Nikon in the DSLR
segment of the market with about 47% of sales, with Nikon on 39%. In
third place is ... Pentax with 7%.

Sony, whose target for Alpha was 20-25% of DSLRs sold, is nowhere.

nick c

Bruce wrote:
> It's official, the Nikon D700 and D300s are discontinued.
>
> An announcement for the D800 is due on February 7, 2011 but there is
> no word yet on the D400 (D300 replacement).
>
> The D800 will use a Sony 36 MP full frame sensor that is expected to
> appear in the Sony A9* SLT, which hasn't appeared and may yet be
> cancelled. The D400 will use the Sony 24 MP APS-C sensor used in the
> Sony Alpha 77 and NEX-7 cameras.
>
> Both cameras will have advanced video shooting features.
>
> The $64,000 question is whether the D700 will be replaced by the D800,
> whose low light performance won't be anywhere near as good, or by a
> D700s or D700X with a lower pixel count and the same or better high
> ISO performance.
>

> (cross posted to rec.photo.digital)

Thanks a bunch for the information.

When musing upon the subject of equipment improvements I tend to pause
and think about the artful work that has been accomplished with cameras
that have passed into obsolescence. Upon that thought, I think I shall
continue to value my D700 and D300 as they are merely quality tools
whose limits are governed mainly by my subject knowledge and physical
dexterity.

When the outcome of my composing results in the taking of a bad picture
using the equipment that I readily have, I surely do know it wasn't
Bush's fault.

PeterN

On 1/27/2012 6:11 PM, nick c wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> It's official, the Nikon D700 and D300s are discontinued.
>> An announcement for the D800 is due on February 7, 2011 but there is
>> no word yet on the D400 (D300 replacement).
>>
>> The D800 will use a Sony 36 MP full frame sensor that is expected to
>> appear in the Sony A9* SLT, which hasn't appeared and may yet be
>> cancelled. The D400 will use the Sony 24 MP APS-C sensor used in the
>> Sony Alpha 77 and NEX-7 cameras.
>> Both cameras will have advanced video shooting features.
>>
>> The $64,000 question is whether the D700 will be replaced by the D800,
>> whose low light performance won't be anywhere near as good, or by a
>> D700s or D700X with a lower pixel count and the same or better high
>> ISO performance.
>>

>> (cross posted to rec.photo.digital)

> Thanks a bunch for the information.
>
> When musing upon the subject of equipment improvements I tend to pause
> and think about the artful work that has been accomplished with cameras
> that have passed into obsolescence. Upon that thought, I think I shall
> continue to value my D700 and D300 as they are merely quality tools
> whose limits are governed mainly by my subject knowledge and physical
> dexterity.
>
> When the outcome of my composing results in the taking of a bad picture
> using the equipment that I readily have, I surely do know it wasn't
> Bush's fault.

I agree with you. Also, I would not plan anything significant based on
the statements of either Rich or Bruce, without further independent
investigation..

--
Peter

nick c

Rich wrote:
> PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4f235ec7$0$18689
> $(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
>

>>> When the outcome of my composing results in the taking of a bad picture
>>> using the equipment that I readily have, I surely do know it wasn't
>>> Bush's fault.
>>>

>> I agree with you. Also, I would not plan anything significant based on
>> the statements of either Rich or Bruce, without further independent
>> investigation..
>>

> And yet some pros, who haven't seen the D4 (as was pointed out before) have
> already placed orders...

I can accept the fact that Pro's have placed orders for the unseen and
unpublished testing of the D4 camera. I suppose their actions mean
something to those who may be impressionable.

Pro's have the privilege of being able to progressively deduct much of
the cost of their equipment on their income tax forms. Others, like
myself, do not have the government subsidizing (via tax relief) hobby
type purchases. Other than being technically proficient (which indeed
Pro's are), customer impressions are improved when Pro's display their
use of the latest equipment.

Robert Coe

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:55:35 -0800, nick c <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Rich wrote:
: > PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4f235ec7$0$18689
: > $(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
: >
: >
: >>> When the outcome of my composing results in the taking of a bad picture
: >>> using the equipment that I readily have, I surely do know it wasn't
: >>> Bush's fault.
: >>>
: >> I agree with you. Also, I would not plan anything significant based on
: >> the statements of either Rich or Bruce, without further independent
: >> investigation..
: >>
: >>
: > And yet some pros, who haven't seen the D4 (as was pointed out before) have
: > already placed orders...
:
: I can accept the fact that Pro's have placed orders for the unseen and
: unpublished testing of the D4 camera. I suppose their actions mean
: something to those who may be impressionable.
:
: Pro's have the privilege of being able to progressively deduct much of
: the cost of their equipment on their income tax forms. Others, like
: myself, do not have the government subsidizing (via tax relief) hobby
: type purchases. Other than being technically proficient (which indeed
: Pro's are), customer impressions are improved when Pro's display their
: use of the latest equipment.

You're assuming that customers can tell the difference. My guess is that the
number of those who actually can is statistically insignificant.

Bob

PeterN

On 1/27/2012 9:49 PM, Rich wrote:
> PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4f235ec7$0$18689
> $(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
>

>>> When the outcome of my composing results in the taking of a bad picture
>>> using the equipment that I readily have, I surely do know it wasn't
>>> Bush's fault.
>>>

>> I agree with you. Also, I would not plan anything significant based on
>> the statements of either Rich or Bruce, without further independent
>> investigation..
>>

> And yet some pros, who haven't seen the D4 (as was pointed out before) have
> already placed orders...

Not in reliance of your advice.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 1/28/2012 8:09 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:55:35 -0800, nick c<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Rich wrote:
> :> PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4f235ec7$0$18689
> :> $(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
> :>
> :>
> :>>> When the outcome of my composing results in the taking of a bad picture
> :>>> using the equipment that I readily have, I surely do know it wasn't
> :>>> Bush's fault.
> :>>>
> :>> I agree with you. Also, I would not plan anything significant based on
> :>> the statements of either Rich or Bruce, without further independent
> :>> investigation..
> :>>
> :>>
> :> And yet some pros, who haven't seen the D4 (as was pointed out before) have
> :> already placed orders...
> :
> : I can accept the fact that Pro's have placed orders for the unseen and
> : unpublished testing of the D4 camera. I suppose their actions mean
> : something to those who may be impressionable.
> :
> : Pro's have the privilege of being able to progressively deduct much of
> : the cost of their equipment on their income tax forms. Others, like
> : myself, do not have the government subsidizing (via tax relief) hobby
> : type purchases. Other than being technically proficient (which indeed
> : Pro's are), customer impressions are improved when Pro's display their
> : use of the latest equipment.
>
> You're assuming that customers can tell the difference. My guess is that the
> number of those who actually can is statistically insignificant.

True, but new equipment can make life a lot easier.

--
Peter

nick c

Robert Coe wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:55:35 -0800, nick c <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Rich wrote:
> : > PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4f235ec7$0$18689
> : > $(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
> : >
> : >
> : >>> When the outcome of my composing results in the taking of a bad picture
> : >>> using the equipment that I readily have, I surely do know it wasn't
> : >>> Bush's fault.
> : >>>
> : >> I agree with you. Also, I would not plan anything significant based on
> : >> the statements of either Rich or Bruce, without further independent
> : >> investigation..
> : >>
> : >>
> : > And yet some pros, who haven't seen the D4 (as was pointed out before) have
> : > already placed orders...
> :
> : I can accept the fact that Pro's have placed orders for the unseen and
> : unpublished testing of the D4 camera. I suppose their actions mean
> : something to those who may be impressionable.
> :
> : Pro's have the privilege of being able to progressively deduct much of
> : the cost of their equipment on their income tax forms. Others, like
> : myself, do not have the government subsidizing (via tax relief) hobby
> : type purchases. Other than being technically proficient (which indeed
> : Pro's are), customer impressions are improved when Pro's display their
> : use of the latest equipment.
>
> You're assuming that customers can tell the difference. My guess is that the
> number of those who actually can is statistically insignificant.
>
> Bob

Yes, quite right. I was assuming.