Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > scanning service -> CD or DVD

scanning service -> CD or DVD

ps56k

I'm at the point where I'd like to take the boxes and trays of 35mm slides
along with a variety of photos in boxes
and some 8mm Hi8 digital camcorder tapes,
and send them off to a scanning service.

The choice of output photo media is CD or DVD.
Any thoughts on going one way or the other ?
One thought is capacity vs risk of loss...
ie - CD is smaller vs DVD - but wouldn't lose as much if damaged.
--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

Mort

Alan Browne wrote:
> Better if the service co. provides "Gold" archival disks AND that said
> disks be manufactured in Taiwan. (And esp. NOT made in India[1]).
>
> If the discs are not "Gold" (archival) then you should re-copy the discs
> to fresh discs in 5 - 7 years. (They'll probably go 10 years or more,
> but I don't take chances).

Hi,

The best discs (CD) for archival use are made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden,
and are distinguished by a blue-green color of the recording surface.
They are sold under various names. The T.Y. CD-Rs can be bought on line
in the USA in spindle packs of 100 for about 32 cents each, which is
really cheaper than the local stores' offbrands. They will allegedly
last 100 years, although I myself will never see that.

I prefer these discs for archival storage of images and of music.

Regards,

Mort Linder

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>> Better if the service co. provides "Gold" archival disks AND that said
>> disks be manufactured in Taiwan. (And esp. NOT made in India[1]).

>> If the discs are not "Gold" (archival) then you should re-copy the discs
>> to fresh discs in 5 - 7 years. (They'll probably go 10 years or more,
>> but I don't take chances).

> The best discs (CD) for archival use are made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden,

I think there's a new contender in town (DVD) which, at least
according to what I read (sorry, no personal experience yet,
and certainly no long time personal experience), is an order of
magnitude better than TY: the M-DISC. They estimate 1,000 years
--- and that's not because the reflectivity fails, but because the
carrier plastics will probably fail by then.

Gold DVDs need stable environmental conditions (light, low
humidity, not too warm). The M-DISC doesn't care (no organic
dyes etc to chemically change.

You do need a special writer (higher laser power needed), but
any DVD+R capable reader should be able to read them.

http://millenniata.com/

[...]
> They will allegedly
> last 100 years, although I myself will never see that.

> I prefer these discs for archival storage of images and of music.

I'd still use dvdisaster to add extra CRC-data which can
rescue data even from badly scratched or chemically aged disks.

http://dvdisaster.net/en/

-Wolfgang

PS: According to an independent study evaluating the M-DISK,
TY was worse than Delkin, which was again worse than MAM-A.
(But then they used the best individual writer for the disks
and *then* thew out all those that were no good after burning
--- in which both Delkin and MAM-A suffered!)