Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > What editor or IDE do you use?

What editor or IDE do you use?

Mike Hansen

I'm pretty new to Ruby. What editor or IDE do you use? I usually use VIM
for a lot of my coding. Rubymine looks pretty cool.

David Jacobs

Vim all the way. For me, fits the Ruby mantra of keeping things simple but flexible.

On Tuesday, 31 May 2011 at 3:33 pm, Mike Hansen wrote:

> I'm pretty new to Ruby. What editor or IDE do you use? I usually use VIM
> for a lot of my coding. Rubymine looks pretty cool.

Markus Fischer

On 01.06.2011 00:36, David Jacobs wrote:
> Vim all the way. For me, fits the Ruby mantra of keeping things simple but flexible.

Vim too here. There's only one real downside here (for me, anyway): I'm
used to languages using parenthesis and thus I'm used to navigate a lot
with the % key (jump between parenthesis). Not so with ruby, to my
knowledge there's nothing you can make % to do jump between opening
begin/class/etc. and closing end. Would love be proved otherwise here.

- Markus

Wilde, Donald S

LS0tLS1PcmlnaW5hbCBNZXNzYWdlLS0tLS0NCkZyb206IERhdm lkIEphY29icyBbbWFpbHRvOmRl
dmVsb3BlckB3aXQuaW9dIA0KU2VudDogVHVlc2RheSwgTWF5ID MxLCAyMDExIDM6MzYgUE0NClRv
OiBydWJ5LXRhbGsgTUwNClN1YmplY3Q6IFJlOiBXaGF0IGVkaX RvciBvciBJREUgZG8geW91IHVz
ZT8NCg0KPiBWaW0gYWxsIHRoZSB3YXkuIEZvciBtZSwgZml0cy B0aGUgUnVieSBtYW50cmEgb2Yg
a2VlcGluZyB0aGluZ3Mgc2ltcGxlIGJ1dCBmbGV4aWJsZS4NCg 0KT24gVHVlc2RheSwgMzEgTWF5
IDIwMTEgYXQgMzozMyBwbSwgTWlrZSBIYW5zZW4gd3JvdGU6DQ oNCj4+IEknbSBwcmV0dHkgbmV3
IHRvIFJ1YnkuIFdoYXQgZWRpdG9yIG9yIElERSBkbyB5b3UgdX NlPyBJIHVzdWFsbHkgdXNlIFZJ
TSANCj4+IGZvciBhIGxvdCBvZiBteSBjb2RpbmcuIFJ1YnltaW 5lIGxvb2tzIHByZXR0eSBjb29s
Lg0KDQoNClNjaVRFLiBJIGRvIG1vc3RseSAnTklYIGNvZGluZy AtLSBsb3RzIG9mIHByb2Nlc3Nl
cyBhbmQgU0hNIC0tIGJ1dCBpdCdzIG5pY2UgdGhhdCBJIGNhbi B1c2UgaXQgd2hlbiBJIGhhdmUg
dG8gd2hhY2sgYSBydWJ5IGNsaWVudCBmb3IgYSBkb3plIGxhcH RvcC4gU3ludGF4IGhpZ2hsaWdo
dGluZyBpcyBhIHBsdXMgYW5kIGl0J3MgcmVhbGx5IGVhc3kgdG 8gZ2V0IERvemUgdXNlcnMgdXAg
dG8gc3BlZWQgb24gaXQuIEFsc28gZWFzeSB0byBjdXN0b21pem UgZm9udHMgZXQgYWwuDQoNCkkg
anVzdCBoYXZlIG5ldmVyIHJlYWxseSBnb3R0ZW4gdXNlZCB0by B0aGUgZHVhbC1tb2RlIGVkaXRp
bmcgdGhhdCBWSSBpcyBiYXNlZCBvbi4gOi0lDQoNCg==

Marc Weber

Excerpts from Markus Fischer's message of Wed Jun 01 00:42:03 +0200 2011:
> begin/class/etc. and closing end. Would love be proved otherwise here.

get matchit.zip !
Thet let's you dynamically add more pairs using b:match_words which
should already be implemented for ruby.
(I recommend using vim-addon-manager for installing plugins)

Marc Weber

Stephen Boesch

opinions on redcar?

2011/5/31 Marc Weber <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Excerpts from Markus Fischer's message of Wed Jun 01 00:42:03 +0200 2011:
> > begin/class/etc. and closing end. Would love be proved otherwise here.

> get matchit.zip !
> Thet let's you dynamically add more pairs using b:match_words which
> should already be implemented for ruby.
> (I recommend using vim-addon-manager for installing plugins)
>
> Marc Weber

Marc Weber

Excerpts from Stephen Boesch's message of Wed Jun 01 01:36:28 +0200 2011:
> opinions on redcar?

Are you asking me ? No - never used it.

Vim is powerful due to its modal editing.

However also Netbeans etc have Ruby support and Vi like keybindings.

So it also depends on what will done - eg whether rails support is
required etc.

Marc Weber

Michael Brooks

>"Mike Hansen" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>What editor or IDE do you use?

I prefer RubyMine (http://www.jetbrains.com/ruby/). It's the closest thing
I've seen to a Visual Studio or Delphi style IDE (minus the UI editor of
course).

Michael

Stu

I'm also a vi user.

I have a variation of interactive_editor I use inside irb and pry.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Mike Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm pretty new to Ruby. What editor or IDE do you use? I usually use VIM for
> a lot of my coding. Rubymine looks pretty cool.

Avdi Grimm

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Mike Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm pretty new to Ruby. What editor or IDE do you use? I usually use VIM for
> a lot of my coding. Rubymine looks pretty cool.

Emacs, as always. These days I also toss RubyMine into the mix for its
refactoring, Cucumber support, and project indexing. I set up a
keybinding to open files in Emacs for serious editing.

--
Avdi Grimm
http://avdi.org