Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > What editor or IDE do you use?

What editor or IDE do you use?

Chris Kottom

I do everything in the terminal - usually a Screen session with windows for
bash, Emacs, rails console, and rails server. Back when I used IDEs, I
started with Eclipse + Aptana and later NetBeans, which was actually quite
good, but I would say I'm many times faster now using simpler tools than I
ever was with an integrated package.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Avdi Grimm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Mike Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm pretty new to Ruby. What editor or IDE do you use? I usually use VIM

> for
> > a lot of my coding. Rubymine looks pretty cool.

> Emacs, as always. These days I also toss RubyMine into the mix for its
> refactoring, Cucumber support, and project indexing. I set up a
> keybinding to open files in Emacs for serious editing.
>
> --
> Avdi Grimm
> http://avdi.org

Steve Klabnik

> Details . . . ?

Janus is sometimes described as being textmate for vim:
https://github.com/carlhuda/janus

Markus Fischer

On 01.06.2011 01:13, Marc Weber wrote:
> Excerpts from Markus Fischer's message of Wed Jun 01 00:42:03 +0200 2011:
>> begin/class/etc. and closing end. Would love be proved otherwise here.

> get matchit.zip !
> Thet let's you dynamically add more pairs using b:match_words which
> should already be implemented for ruby.
> (I recommend using vim-addon-manager for installing plugins)

OMG! Developing finally becomes real fun again. Thank you so much! It
really speeds up developing, especially since I switched to the common
two spaces for a tab now (my eyes are trained to four spaces) it saves
my a lot time. Again, thanks for the hint!

- Markus