Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Teaching Ruby in CS1

Teaching Ruby in CS1

Franck Ditter

Who knows some good CS1 references for teaching Python ?
Thanks,

franck

Robert Klemme

On 05/21/2011 10:31 AM, Franck Ditter wrote:
> Who knows some good CS1 references for teaching Python ?
> Thanks,
>
> franck

You post this in com.lang.ruby? What kind of answers do you expect?

Cheers

robert

Elnur Abdurrakhimov

Have you accidentally typed "Python" instead of "Ruby"?

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Franck Ditter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Who knows some good CS1 references for teaching Python ?
> Thanks,
>
> franck

Anurag Priyam

> You post this in com.lang.ruby? =A0What kind of answers do you expect?

.

Anyways, when I was into Python long back, I liked "Thinking Like a
Computer Scientist". Can't say if you can use it for CS 101 though.

[1]: http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

--=20
Anurag Priyam
http://about.me/yeban/

Franck Ditter

I was meaning "Ruby in CS1" of course. Ooops !

franck

In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
Anurag Priyam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > You post this in com.lang.ruby? *What kind of answers do you expect?

> .
>
> Anyways, when I was into Python long back, I liked "Thinking Like a
> Computer Scientist". Can't say if you can use it for CS 101 though.
>
> [1]: http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

Stu

There is a how to think like a computer scientist book for java,
python and c++ but the ruby one is not finished from what I've seen.

Though I haven't read it I have come across this:

http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/

~Stu

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Franck Ditter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was meaning "Ruby in CS1" of course. Ooops !
>
> =A0 franck
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
> =A0Anurag Priyam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > You post this in com.lang.ruby? =A0What kind of answers do you expect?

>> .
>>
>> Anyways, when I was into Python long back, I liked "Thinking Like a
>> Computer Scientist". Can't say if you can use it for CS 101 though.
>>
>> [1]: http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

Anurag Priyam

> I was meaning "Ruby in CS1" of course. Ooops !

The Ruby Programming Language + Ruby Best Practices should be used to
teach Ruby anywhere. While the former is about learning the core
language, the later is about using it.

Depending on what all you want to cover, you can probably sneak in
some chapters of Design Patterns in Ruby.

--
Anurag Priyam
http://about.me/yeban/

Franck Ditter

> Though I haven't read it I have come across this:
>
> http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/
>
> ~Stu

Interesting. But I was interested in pointers to actual CS1
teaching Ruby, preferably in known universities...
Thanks,

franck

Anurag Priyam

> Interesting. But I was interested in pointers to actual CS1
> teaching Ruby, preferably in known universities...

Is Ruby even taught in any University?

--
Anurag Priyam
http://about.me/yeban/

Uwe Kubosch

On 2011-05-22, at 09:30, Franck Ditter wrote:

> Interesting. But I was interested in pointers to actual CS1
> teaching Ruby, preferably in known universities...
> Thanks,

I believe the University of Oslo uses Ruby in some of their courses:

Here is a link for an advanced course, but maybe you can contact them for more info:

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/INF5660/

--
With kind regards
Uwe Kubosch

Python in CS1 Franck Ditter Python 3 05-21-2011 03:37 PM
cs1.Keyboard; HELPPPP CC Fanatic Java 0 09-14-2008 10:02 PM
Opening qtpfsgui HDR files in CS1 (LogLuv TIFF) Paul Furman Digital Photography 2 10-14-2007 03:41 AM
Socket 775 Needs Love, Too! Zalman ZM-CS1 Clip Support Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-02-2006 02:11 AM
Photoshop ME (both cs1 and cs2) cause instant reboot on vector actions m7mambo@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 06-26-2006 08:41 PM

Advertisments