Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Problem setting up heroku: "Unable to verify SSL certificate forapi.heroku.com"

Problem setting up heroku: "Unable to verify SSL certificate forapi.heroku.com"

Max Williams

Hi all. I'm trying to deploy a test app up to heroku. I've got a
github account, set up with keys (ie i can do ssh http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ok).
I've set up a heroku account on heroku.com. I'm following the tutorial
here:

http://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/quickstart

and am at step 3. I do "heroku create" and get the prompts for my
heroku username and password. I enter these, and then get the following
back:

>> WARNING: Unable to verify SSL certificate for api.heroku.com
>> To disable SSL verification, run with HEROKU_SSL_VERIFY=disable

I've googled for this warning and can't see anything about it anywhere.
I then googled the HEROKU_SSL_VERIFY option and found this page which
talks about "piggyback ssl". But this is talking about adding ssl to an
app, and i don't even have any apps yet.

Step 2 in that tutorial says "You will need to generate a public SSH key
and upload it to Heroku. ". I don't know how to do this - would this be
done automatically as part of the failing step 3 above?

Basically i'm confused and stuck. Any ideas anyone?
thanks, max

Hassan Schroeder

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Max Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all. =A0I'm trying to deploy a test app up to heroku.

> Step 2 in that tutorial says "You will need to generate a public SSH key
> and upload it to Heroku. ". =A0I don't know how to do this ...

prompt% heroku help
keys # show your user's public keys
keys:add [<path to keyfile>] # add a public key
keys:remove <keyname> # remove a key by name (user@hos=
t)
keys:clear # remove all keys

HTH,
--=20
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ (E-Mail Removed)
twitter: @hassan

Max Williams

Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #997393:
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Max Williams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi all. I'm trying to deploy a test app up to heroku.

>> Step 2 in that tutorial says "You will need to generate a public SSH key
>> and upload it to Heroku. ". I don't know how to do this ...

> prompt% heroku help
> keys # show your user's public
> keys
> keys:add [<path to keyfile>] # add a public key
> keys:remove <keyname> # remove a key by name
> (user@host)
> keys:clear # remove all keys
>
> HTH,

Thanks Hassan, but i get the same warning when i try to do any of the
above "keys" actions as well.

Hassan Schroeder

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Max Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks Hassan, but i get the same warning when i try to do any of the
> above "keys" actions as well.

mmm. What OS/version of SSL are you using?

What happens if you open a browser to https://api.heroku.com ?

--

Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #997400:
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Max Williams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Hassan, but i get the same warning when i try to do any of the
>> above "keys" actions as well.

> mmm. What OS/version of SSL are you using?

OS is Ubuntu 9.10
i have openssl installed, the version for that is "openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007" - is that what you meant?

> What happens if you open a browser to https://api.heroku.com ?

That seems fine - i'm still logged in like i was on the non ssl version
of the page.

I've managed to sort it out i think, by opening a new rvm, downloading
an old version of the heroku gem (with `gem install heroku -v "<2.0.0"`)
and doing heroku create in there. This let me upload my public key (i
had a choice of three - id_rsa.pub, id_dsa.pub and identity.pub, maybe
this was confusing it)?

Then when i went back to my app (and its associated rvm, which had the
most recent version of the heroku gem installed) i was able to do heroku
create, and the other stuff, ok. Kind of odd that i had to go back to
an older gem just to upload my public key though - would still like to
know what the problem was even though it's not as pressing any more.

Hassan Schroeder

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Max Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Then when i went back to my app (and its associated rvm, which had the
> most recent version of the heroku gem installed) i was able to do heroku
> create, and the other stuff, ok. =A0Kind of odd that i had to go back to
> an older gem just to upload my public key though - would still like to
> know what the problem was even though it's not as pressing any more.

Good that you got past it, but you should open a ticket with Heroku --
I've seen a Heroku gem update break something (unrelated to this issue)
that previously worked, and it got corrected after I opened a ticket and
documented the problem.

FWIW,

Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #997407:
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Max Williams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Then when i went back to my app (and its associated rvm, which had the
>> most recent version of the heroku gem installed) i was able to do heroku
>> create, and the other stuff, ok. Kind of odd that i had to go back to
>> an older gem just to upload my public key though - would still like to
>> know what the problem was even though it's not as pressing any more.

> Good that you got past it, but you should open a ticket with Heroku --
> I've seen a Heroku gem update break something (unrelated to this issue)
> that previously worked, and it got corrected after I opened a ticket and
> documented the problem.
>
> FWIW,

Yeah, i'll do that. Thanks a lot - max