Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Accessing MS Exchange from Linux host

Accessing MS Exchange from Linux host

Toby Rodwell

Is it possible for a Linux host to access an Exchange server using MAPI
in a simple and safe manner using Ruby? Looking at the posts related to
"MAPI Exhcange" it seems that, as of a year or so ago, getting access
was very difficult, but here's hoping.

My host would only need to read messages in one mailbox (an inbox) - no
need to access calendars or contacts. If this is very
awkward/difficult/impossible then I may have the ability to go via HTTP
i.e. the Exchange server in question has OWA enabled - would that be any
simpler?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Brian Candler

It's Java rather than Ruby, but I use "fetchexc" to download mail from
Exchange. You could look at its source to are if you can reimplement it
in Ruby.

Toby Rodwell

Brian Candler wrote in post #997374:
> It's Java rather than Ruby, but I use "fetchexc" to download mail from
> Exchange. You could look at its source to are if you can reimplement it
> in Ruby.

Interesting, thanks. I'll certainly go have a look as suggested but as
I'm not really a programmer anyone wants to overtake me is very welcome
to do so!