Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Query for Ruby and mechanize gem on AIX 5.3

Query for Ruby and mechanize gem on AIX 5.3

Vivek J.

Hello

I have AIX 5.3 machine and want to install Ruby and mechanize gem.

I tried googling , however I am not able to find installable packages
and guide for same.

Please point me to relevant link.

Thank you.

Appreciate your quick response.

Phillip Gawlowski

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Vivek J. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have AIX 5.3 machine and =A0want to install Ruby and mechanize gem.
>
> I tried googling , however I am not able to find installable packages
> and guide for same.
>
> Please point me to relevant link.

"Installing from the source code is a great solution for when you are
comfortable enough with your platform and perhaps need specific
settings for your environment. It=92s also a good solution in the event
that there are no other premade packages for your platform."

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.

Matt Lawrence

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Vivek J. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have AIX 5.3 machine and *want to install Ruby and mechanize gem.
>>
>> I tried googling , however I am not able to find installable packages
>> and guide for same.
>>
>> Please point me to relevant link.

> "Installing from the source code is a great solution for when you are
> comfortable enough with your platform and perhaps need specific
> settings for your environment. Itís also a good solution in the event
> that there are no other premade packages for your platform."

Installing from source code on AIX is often painful, I have pretty much
given up. Now I hope to convince my coworkers to go to jRuby.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.

Vivek J.

Thank you Phillip Gawlowski for help.

Now I have AIX 5.3 machine and want to install Ruby and mechanize gem.

I have downloaded ruby-1.9.2-p180.tar.gz and

Trying to run this :

cd ruby-1.9.2-p180
bash-3.2# ./configure
checking build system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
checking host system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
checking target system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in `/test/ruby-1.9.2-p180':
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details

----------

My AIX box says

bash-3.2# lslpp -L all | grep xl
xlC.aix50.rte 10.1.0.2 C F XL C/C++ Runtime for
AIX 5.3
xlC.cpp 9.0.0.0 C F C for AIX
Preprocessor
xlC.rte 10.1.0.2 C F XL C/C++ Runtime

Which C Compiler I need to download ?

What we the next steps to install Ruby and mechanize gem.

Thank you.