Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Monitoring

Monitoring

Vivek Vaid

Charles - Any insights into jxinsight vs new relic?

<snip>
Another option would be the JXInsight tool
(http://www.jinspired.com/products/jxinsight/), which has builtin
support for profiling Ruby (and may make it possible to combine Ruby
and Java results in the same output. It is, however, a commercial
tool.
<snip>

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Joel VanderWerf
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm looking at the output from both --profile and --sample. It seems th=

at
> > --profile measures only jruby methods, and --sample measures only java
> > functions. (Or maybe --sample would show some of the jruby methods if

> they
> > were taking enough time to be observed at a tick. My program is much mo=

re
> > heavily bottlenecked in the java side at the moment.)
> >
> > Is there any possibility of --profile instrumenting both jruby and java
> > code?

> Currently, no. Because Ruby dispatches differently than Java,
> including both in the same profile is at least difficult, and maybe
> impossible. Liken it to wanting to show profile results for both Ruby
> and C (or C++, C#, ObjC) in other implementations, when Ruby method
> dispatch is actually implemented *in* those native languages. The two
> worlds are largely separate.
>
> However...
>
> If you are able to force all Ruby code to compile before invocation
> (using -X+C to force all files to compile or -Xjit.threshold=3D1 to
> force all methods to compile on first invocation) normal Java
> profiling tools will show the compiled Ruby method bodies alongside
> regular Java method bodies. Be forewarned, however...as with any C or
> C++-based implementation that JITs Ruby code to native code, the
> resulting method are "mangled" a bit, and you'll have to do some
> manual chewing to interpret them. But at least you can use any of the
> dozens of Java profiling tools and show results for both Ruby and Java
> at the same time. If there's interest, I could try to do a screencast
> of how to do this with various JVM profilers (such as the built-in
> -J-Xrunhprof:cpu=3Dtimes):
>
> =E2=9E=94 jruby -J-Xrunhprof:cpu=3Dtimes -e "def foo; a =3D 0; while a < =

1000; a