Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Can I use MacRuby without knowing Objective-C

Can I use MacRuby without knowing Objective-C

Fily Salas

Hi,

Do I need to know Objective-C to use MacRuby?

How similar is Ruby to Objective =E2=80=93C? In other words How hard wou=
ld that
be to learn Objective-C after learning Ruby?

Thanks a lot!

-- =

Michael Johann

What would you do with Objective-C?
You can imagine both languages to be completely different.
It helps to know something about method signatures in objective-c but in
general I would suggest to just decide what you want to do and then
choose the right language.

I suppose you will use macruby with ruby and when you switch over to iOS
development you will need to learn Objective-C and that means, you start
at the very beginning, again.

Ahhh, one advice: Like in with every language -> Relatively easy to
learn
Like with every framework -> It needs some time to learn.

Dive into it!

Michael

Fily Salas

Thanks a lot for your comments!

The reason for the question is because I was looking at the introduction
for MacRuby and it looks like you could actually use Ruby and
Objective-C but I didn't know if that was a requirement or you could use
only Ruby, also to see if they were similar and as you stated the
opportunity to write apps for iOS is a plus.

I know I'm probably asking questions that don't make too much sense
since I'm still learning Ruby (in fact I'm really enjoying this
language).

Thanks

Phillip Gawlowski

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Fily Salas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your comments!
>
> The reason for the question is because I was looking at the introduction
> for MacRuby and it looks like you could actually use Ruby and
> Objective-C but I didn't know if that was a requirement or you could use
> only Ruby, also to see if they were similar and as you stated the
> opportunity to write apps for iOS is a plus.

IIRC, it's similar to how JRuby and IronRuby would work: Access to the
runtime's native features via Ruby, but it's a bonus, not a
requirement.

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,