Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Work with MySQL database

Work with MySQL database

Manny 777

Hi there,
I'm new in RoR and I would like to ask you for help, how to check if
the MySQL database works. I installed MySQL database with gem following:

sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch i386" gem install mysql -- \
--with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql
--with-mysql-lib=/usr/local/mysql/lib \
--with-mysql-include=/usr/local/mysql/include

And everything went ok, no error or warning message.

But now - I don't know, how to fast check that the MySQL database is
installed ok - exist any command to terminal for this? Or any tutorial,
how to check it?

For PHP exist for manage of MySQL database PHPMyAdmin - exist something
similar for Ror? I found rbDB, but it looks that the project is death...

Thank you a lot for your time.
[I'm working with terminal in Mac OS x]

andrew mcelroy

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Manny 777 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I'm new in RoR and I would like to ask you for help, how to check if
> the MySQL database works. I installed MySQL database with gem following:
>
> sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch i386" gem install mysql -- \
> --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql
> --with-mysql-lib=/usr/local/mysql/lib \
> --with-mysql-include=/usr/local/mysql/include
>
> And everything went ok, no error or warning message.
>
> But now - I don't know, how to fast check that the MySQL database is
> installed ok - exist any command to terminal for this? Or any tutorial,
> how to check it?
>
> For PHP exist for manage of MySQL database PHPMyAdmin - exist something
> similar for Ror? I found rbDB, but it looks that the project is death...
>
> Thank you a lot for your time.
> [I'm working with terminal in Mac OS x]
>
> what you are asking is actually 3 questions.

If you are on a mac, then just use sequel pro to admin mysql.
As for using mysql with ruby, mysql2 gem is better than mysql gem.
Read the documentation on mysql2 gem.

Andrew McElroy

Chris Kottom

Previous respondent is right about mysql2 gem. To get a yes/no answer about
whether the setup is valid and works with Rails, I would do it like this.

# assuming you've got Rails 3 installed
sudo gem install mysql2
rails new test_app -d mysql
cd test_app
ruby -i.bak -pe 'gsub(/password:/, "password: <MYSQL ROOT PASSWORD>")'
config/database.yml
rake db:create
rails dbconsole

Enter your MYSQL ROOT PASSWORD string when prompted, and if you get a mysql
prompt, you're good.

There's probably a way to do this in fewer keystrokes, but this will
definitely tell you whether you're OK within a minute or so.

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM, andrew mcelroy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Manny 777 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> > I'm new in RoR and I would like to ask you for help, how to check if
> > the MySQL database works. I installed MySQL database with gem following:
> >
> > sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch i386" gem install mysql -- \
> > --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql
> > --with-mysql-lib=/usr/local/mysql/lib \
> > --with-mysql-include=/usr/local/mysql/include
> >
> > And everything went ok, no error or warning message.
> >
> > But now - I don't know, how to fast check that the MySQL database is
> > installed ok - exist any command to terminal for this? Or any tutorial,
> > how to check it?
> >
> > For PHP exist for manage of MySQL database PHPMyAdmin - exist something
> > similar for Ror? I found rbDB, but it looks that the project is death...
> >
> > Thank you a lot for your time.
> > [I'm working with terminal in Mac OS x]
> >
> > what you are asking is actually 3 questions.

> If you are on a mac, then just use sequel pro to admin mysql.
> As for using mysql with ruby, mysql2 gem is better than mysql gem.
> Read the documentation on mysql2 gem.
>
> Andrew McElroy
>
> > --

Greg Willits

Manny 777 wrote in post #982624:
> But now - I don't know, how to fast check that the MySQL database is
> installed ok - exist any command to terminal for this? Or any tutorial,
> how to check it?
>
> For PHP exist for manage of MySQL database PHPMyAdmin - exist something
> similar for Ror? I found rbDB, but it looks that the project is death...

For GUI management of MySQL I use Querious (www.araelium.com)

but for a quick test via Ruby GEM, I use the following little ruby test
file:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

require 'mysql'

db_name = "mysql"
sql = Mysql.new("127.0.0.1", "root", "", "#{db_name}")
tables = sql.query("show tables from #{db_name}")

table_names = []
tables.each do |table_specs|
table_names << table_specs[0]
end

p table_names

-- gw

Manny 777

Hi guys,
thanks a lot for your replies. I tried to install mysql2, but I get
this messages:

Successfully installed mysql2-0.2.6
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for mysql2-0.2.6...

Enclosing class/module 'mMysql2' for class Client not known

Enclosing class/module 'mMysql2' for class Result not known
Installing RDoc documentation for mysql2-0.2.6...

Enclosing class/module 'mMysql2' for class Client not known

Enclosing class/module 'mMysql2' for class Result not known

Google said me about "Enclosing class... ", that I must need theh
command, which posted Frederic
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...-on-osx-10-6-5
- second post)

But if I try that command, I am getting this error:

install_name_tool: can't open file:
/Users/manny/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0/gems/mysql2-0.2.6/lib/mysql2/mysql2.bundle
(No such file or directory)

How to continue with configuration Ror and Mysql now? It's like a
enchanted ring - the problem rotate other problem...

PS: Querious looks fine!