Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Books and/or Tutorials

Reply
Thread Tools

Books and/or Tutorials

 
 
Karch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2011
Hello Fellow Ruby Users!

I recently picked up Ruby and am absolutely loving it.

At any rate, I have run through most of the short guides on
ruby-lang.org, and am looking for something more substantive about the
language. I am aware that the majority of books on Ruby are mediocre
at best.

I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and purchasing.

In Christ,
Karch

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Josh Cheek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2011
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Karch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello Fellow Ruby Users!
>
> I recently picked up Ruby and am absolutely loving it.
>
> At any rate, I have run through most of the short guides on
> ruby-lang.org, and am looking for something more substantive about the
> language. I am aware that the majority of books on Ruby are mediocre
> at best.
>
> I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and
> purchasing.
>
> In Christ,
> Karch
>
>

Hi, Karch, glad you're enjoying Ruby!

I have one I made to teach my friends Ruby (they used to be keen on Python
). If you're familiar with programming, it will probably be fine for you.
If not, it might be a bit much.

https://github.com/JoshCheek/JoshsRubyKickstart

You can get it with git, or there is a download link. It comes with some
challenges that have unit tests to make sure you did them correctly, and
also includes solutions to all the problems, if you get ****ed off at the
problem.

If you know how to, you're also welcome to fork it, and help me restructure
it. Someone learning something for the first time has a different
perspective than someone like me, who takes certain realizations for
granted.

And if you would like specific aid, or more thorough explanations for
something in there, you are welcome to ask

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Stephens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2011
I've got about 10 books on Ruby. I collect them like fake R0lexes.

I like them all, like you would if you had 10 children.

A must-have is The Ruby Programming Language by Flanagan and Matsumoto.

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Sergio Fernandes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2011
On 18-01-2011 15:08, Mike Stephens wrote:
> I've got about 10 books on Ruby. I collect them like fake R0lexes.
>
> I like them all, like you would if you had 10 children.
>
> A must-have is The Ruby Programming Language by Flanagan and Matsumoto.
>
>

rsrs lol...give me a link ;]

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian Candler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2011
Karch wrote in post #975724:
> I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and
> purchasing.


http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

That's the first edition and is free. It was written for ruby 1.6, but
will stand you in good stead for ruby 1.8.

The 2nd edition (for ruby 1. and 3rd edition (for ruby 1.9) are
available as printed books or pay-for PDFs.

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Stu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2011
Look at the Well Grounded Rubyist

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Karch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello Fellow Ruby Users!
>
> I recently picked up Ruby and am absolutely loving it.
>
> At any rate, I have run through most of the short guides on
> ruby-lang.org, and am looking for something more substantive about the
> language. I am aware that the majority of books on Ruby are mediocre
> at best.
>
> I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and purchasing.
>
> In Christ,
> Karch
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Abinoam Jr.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2011
Two more...

Ruby Way - Hal Fulton
Ruby Best Practices - Gregory Brown -
http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/po...-now-open.html

Abinoam Jr.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Stu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Look at the Well Grounded Rubyist
>
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Karch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello Fellow Ruby Users!
>>
>> I recently picked up Ruby and am absolutely loving it.
>>
>> At any rate, I have run through most of the short guides on
>> ruby-lang.org, and am looking for something more substantive about the
>> language. I am aware that the majority of books on Ruby are mediocre
>> at best.
>>
>> I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and purchasing.
>>
>> In Christ,
>> Karch
>>
>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good SystemC tutorials or books? sd VHDL 4 06-08-2009 10:15 AM
Books, books, books: best reference texts for Verilog and VHDL HDL Book Seller VHDL 0 12-01-2004 02:26 AM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Java: Books or Online Tutorials? Brandon Java 7 06-23-2004 12:58 PM
Good books/tutorials on VHDL? Chaos Master VHDL 1 02-18-2004 09:24 PM



Advertisments