Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Profile disappeared

Profile disappeared

Ray Drouillard

When I run Mozilla 1.6 and try to open my mail, it offers to set up a
new account for me. When I try to select my profile, I find that it's
already selected. Just for kicks, I selected the default profile (which
is empty), then went back to my profile. Nothing. There are no
accounts set up and no messages.

When I go to E:\Mozilla\Profiles\Ray\3rgvcxv6.slt (where I store my
profile), it looks like everything is there (though I wouldn't really
notice it if one or two files were missing). When I go to the [Manage
Profiles] dialog, it will allow me to create a new profile, rename the
profile I am trying to use, but it won't let me delete it (not that I
would want to).

How can I get my profile back?

Ray Drouillard

Moz Champion

Ray Drouillard wrote:

> When I run Mozilla 1.6 and try to open my mail, it offers to set up a
> new account for me. When I try to select my profile, I find that it's
> already selected. Just for kicks, I selected the default profile (which
> is empty), then went back to my profile. Nothing. There are no
> accounts set up and no messages.
>
> When I go to E:\Mozilla\Profiles\Ray\3rgvcxv6.slt (where I store my
> profile), it looks like everything is there (though I wouldn't really
> notice it if one or two files were missing). When I go to the [Manage
> Profiles] dialog, it will allow me to create a new profile, rename the
> profile I am trying to use, but it won't let me delete it (not that I
> would want to).
>
> How can I get my profile back?
>

> Ray Drouillard

Um, how did you get the profiles set up on the E drive?

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Ray Drouillard

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fRJec.13737$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ray Drouillard wrote:
>
> > When I run Mozilla 1.6 and try to open my mail, it offers to set up

> > new account for me. When I try to select my profile, I find that

it's
> > already selected. Just for kicks, I selected the default profile

(which
> > is empty), then went back to my profile. Nothing. There are no
> > accounts set up and no messages.
> >
> > When I go to E:\Mozilla\Profiles\Ray\3rgvcxv6.slt (where I store my
> > profile), it looks like everything is there (though I wouldn't

really
> > notice it if one or two files were missing). When I go to the

[Manage
> > Profiles] dialog, it will allow me to create a new profile, rename

the
> > profile I am trying to use, but it won't let me delete it (not that

> > would want to).
> >
> > How can I get my profile back?
> >

> > Ray Drouillard
> >

> Um, how did you get the profiles set up on the E drive?

When you set up a profile, you get the opportunity to choose a location.
Since my C: drive was rapidly running out of space, I decided to put it
on my E: drive (along with the application itself). After that, I
imported all of my saved OE mail and deleted it from OE. That cleared
up my drivespace problems on C:

Anyhow, I'm thinking of creating a new profile, then copying all of the
files from my disabled profile over there. It's worth a shot, anyhow.
I would really hate to lose all of that setup information and data.

Ray Drouillard

Justin Haygood

Ray Drouillard wrote:
| "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:fRJec.13737$(E-Mail Removed)...
|
|>Ray Drouillard wrote:
|>

|>>When I run Mozilla 1.6 and try to open my mail, it offers to set up

|>>new account for me. When I try to select my profile, I find that
|
| it's
|
|>>already selected. Just for kicks, I selected the default profile
|
| (which
|
|>>is empty), then went back to my profile. Nothing. There are no
|>>accounts set up and no messages.
|>>
|>>When I go to E:\Mozilla\Profiles\Ray\3rgvcxv6.slt (where I store my
|>>profile), it looks like everything is there (though I wouldn't
|
| really
|
|>>notice it if one or two files were missing). When I go to the
|
| [Manage
|
|>>Profiles] dialog, it will allow me to create a new profile, rename
|
| the
|
|>>profile I am trying to use, but it won't let me delete it (not that

|>>would want to).
|>>
|>>How can I get my profile back?
|>>

|>>Ray Drouillard
|>>

|>Um, how did you get the profiles set up on the E drive?
|

| When you set up a profile, you get the opportunity to choose a location.
| Since my C: drive was rapidly running out of space, I decided to put it
| on my E: drive (along with the application itself). After that, I
| imported all of my saved OE mail and deleted it from OE. That cleared
| up my drivespace problems on C:
|
| Anyhow, I'm thinking of creating a new profile, then copying all of the
| files from my disabled profile over there. It's worth a shot, anyhow.
| I would really hate to lose all of that setup information and data.
|

| Ray Drouillard

Does their happen to be a file named lock in the Mozilla profile directory?

Ray Drouillard

"Justin Haygood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AJlfc.45493$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Does their happen to be a file named lock in the Mozilla profile

directory?

I didn't find one in any of the directories.

By the way, I tried creating a new profile, then copying everything from
the old directory to the new one. It didn't work.

Ray

Justin Haygood

Ray Drouillard

"Justin Haygood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OACfc.31540$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Ray Drouillard wrote:
> | "Justin Haygood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:AJlfc.45493$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> |

> |>Does their happen to be a file named lock in the Mozilla profile
> |
> | directory?
> |
> | I didn't find one in any of the directories.
> |
> | By the way, I tried creating a new profile, then copying everything

from
> | the old directory to the new one. It didn't work.
> |

> | Ray
> |

> did you copy the .slt directory or the stuff in the .slt directory?

Copy
> the stuff in the .slt directory and not the .slt directory itself. If

it
> doesn't work, its most likely a corrupt profile.

Thanks for the idea.

I just tried it and it didn't work. I also tried importing from the
damaged profile, but it doesn't look like Mozilla imports from Mozilla.

I really want to retrieve my email. If I can retrieve my email account
setup and message rules, that'll save me a ton of typing. The email
isn't replaceable, though.

I think I'll reimport my account information and contact list from OE,
then see what I can do about just moving the mail files over. What I
need is a manual that tells me where all the information is stored, and
how I can hack it.

Ray Drouillard

Leonidas Jones

Ray Drouillard wrote:

> "Justin Haygood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OACfc.31540$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>Ray Drouillard wrote:
>>| "Justin Haygood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>| news:AJlfc.45493$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>| directory?
>>|
>>| I didn't find one in any of the directories.
>>|
>>| By the way, I tried creating a new profile, then copying everything

> from
>
>>| the old directory to the new one. It didn't work.
>>|

>>| Ray
>>|

>>did you copy the .slt directory or the stuff in the .slt directory?

> Copy
>
>>the stuff in the .slt directory and not the .slt directory itself. If

> it
>
>>doesn't work, its most likely a corrupt profile.

> Thanks for the idea.
>
> I just tried it and it didn't work. I also tried importing from the
> damaged profile, but it doesn't look like Mozilla imports from Mozilla.
>
> I really want to retrieve my email. If I can retrieve my email account
> setup and message rules, that'll save me a ton of typing. The email
> isn't replaceable, though.
>
> I think I'll reimport my account information and contact list from OE,
> then see what I can do about just moving the mail files over. What I
> need is a manual that tells me where all the information is stored, and
> how I can hack it.
>

> Ray Drouillard

Create a new profile. Set up your mail account(s). Close Moz. Go to
your old profile, and copy the files with the mail, the ones without
extension, such as Inbox. Pate these into the new profile folder,
overwriting the empty ones there.

Open Mozmail, and you should see your mail. Addressbooks and such are
equally esay to copy over. Your personal addressbook, for example, is
abook.mab. Put that in the new profile, and you will have your old
address book.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org

Ray Drouillard

"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZIUgc.122$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ray Drouillard wrote:

> > I think I'll reimport my account information and contact list from

OE,
> > then see what I can do about just moving the mail files over. What

> > need is a manual that tells me where all the information is stored,

and
> > how I can hack it.
> >

> > Ray Drouillard
> >

> Create a new profile. Set up your mail account(s). Close Moz. Go to
> your old profile, and copy the files with the mail, the ones without
> extension, such as Inbox. Pate these into the new profile folder,
> overwriting the empty ones there.
>
> Open Mozmail, and you should see your mail. Addressbooks and such are
> equally esay to copy over. Your personal addressbook, for example, is
> abook.mab. Put that in the new profile, and you will have your old
> address book.
>
> Lee

Thanks!

It didn't work the first time -- got really confused about what mail
went into what account.

I ended up manually setting up my accounts (all six), then copying the
contents of the individual email account directories. That did the
trick. It took a while to get everything put together and tested --
especially since I had to import the mail that came in while Mozilla was
broken and I was forced to use OE again.

I still have a little cleaning up to do, and I have to get my address
list back (no biggie, that thing is in bad need of a good cleaning), but
things seem to be working now.

Ray

Tono

Ray Drouillard wrote:
It took a while to get everything put together and tested --
> especially since I had to import the mail that came in while Mozilla was
> broken and I was forced to use OE again.

Yikes! OE!!!! Those letters are not allowed here! Seriously, in
an emergency like that, I use my ISP's mail client and just don't delete
anything I want to save. Then when things are back up and running, I
check my mail with mozilla and all the saved mail comes off the ISP.

Tono