Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > install mysql problem

Reply
Thread Tools

install mysql problem

 
 
Pen Ttt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2010
in my console,
pt@pt:~$ sudo gem install mysql
[sudo] password for pt:
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: Error installing mysql:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb
extconf.rb:10:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
from extconf.rb:10


Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1
for inspection.
Results logged to
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/mysql_api/gem_make.out
pt@pt:~$ gem -v
1.3.7
pt@pt:~$
what's wrong?

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phillip Gawlowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2010
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Pen Ttt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> in my console,
> pt@pt:~$ sudo gem install mysql
> [sudo] password for pt:
> Building native extensions. =A0This could take a while...
> ERROR: =A0Error installing mysql:
> =A0ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> /usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb
> extconf.rb:10:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
> =A0from extconf.rb:10
>
>
> Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1
> for inspection.
> Results logged to
> /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/mysql_api/gem_make.out
> pt@pt:~$ gem -v
> 1.3.7
> pt@pt:~$
> what's wrong?


You are missing the headerfiles for MySQL. If you re on a binary
distribution, "apt-get install mysql-dev" or "yum install mysql-dev"
should make the gem install work (adjust the installation command to
your distribution of *NIX of choice, of course).

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pen Ttt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2010
pt@pt:~$ apt-get install mysql-dev
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission
denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you
root?
pt@pt:~$ sudo apt-get install mysql-dev
[sudo] password for pt:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mysql-dev
pt@pt:~$

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
flebber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2010
On Dec 7, 7:06*pm, Pen Ttt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> pt@pt:~$ apt-get install mysql-dev
> E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission
> denied)
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you
> root?
> pt@pt:~$ sudo apt-get install mysql-dev
> [sudo] password for pt:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package mysql-dev
> pt@pt:~$
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.


sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/
mysql_config



 
Reply With Quote
 
Luis Lavena
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2010
On Dec 7, 4:15*am, Pen Ttt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> in my console,
> pt@pt:~$ sudo gem install mysql
> [sudo] password for pt:
> Building native extensions. *This could take a while...
> ERROR: *Error installing mysql:
> * ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> /usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb
> extconf.rb:10:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
> * from extconf.rb:10
>
> Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1
> for inspection.
> Results logged to
> /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/mysql_api/gem_make.out
> pt@pt:~$ gem -v
> 1.3.7
> pt@pt:~$
> what's wrong?
>


Your installation of Ruby is not complete.

Please install ruby-full

sudo apt-get install ruby-full

Also, mysql gem requires mysql headers, try "sudo apt-get install
mysql-dev", but dunno if that works as I'm not familiarized with
Debian/Ubuntu packaging conventions

--
Luis Lavena
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem install mysql Gem OS 10.6.4 Younes Baghor Ruby 6 09-20-2010 08:36 PM
sudo gem install mysql problem Pen Ttt Ruby 5 05-18-2010 06:33 AM
MySQL-python-1.2.2 install with no mysql washakie Python 4 01-15-2008 08:15 PM
the problem of install mysql driver using gem for Rails gao zhixin Ruby 1 02-12-2006 07:06 PM
mysql-ruby install problem gianni@one6ix.com Ruby 1 11-14-2004 07:15 PM



Advertisments