Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] JRuby 1.5.5 Released

Reply
Thread Tools

[ANN] JRuby 1.5.5 Released

 
 
Thomas E Enebo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2010
The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.5.5.

(Note: Due to a showstopper bug found after the release of the
jruby-jars gem and
the inability to remove gem releases from rubygems.org we have skipped
from 1.5.3 to 1.5.5. The 1.5.5 release is the same release that would have
been 1.5.4 had we been able to re-release jruby-jars.)

- Homepage: [http://www.jruby.org/](http://www.jruby.org/)
- Download: [http://www.jruby.org/download](http:...y.org/download)

JRuby 1.5.5 is a minor follow-up release to address problems executing
some commands on Windows, a couple of Marshalling discrepancies with MRI, a=
nd
a few other random production-affecting issues. We also improved the outpu=
t
and accuracy of --profile (try it out). All users of JRuby 1.5.3 are
recommended to upgrade to 1.5.5.

### 1.5.5 Issues Resolved:
- JRUBY-4766 Updated jaffl for YourKit compatibility
- JRUBY-4865 Ant.load_from_ant is broken on Windows
- JRUBY-4940 Cucumber Japanese example raises exception on JRuby
- JRUBY-5064 Marshalled ruby hash gets loaded incorrectly
- JRUBY-5110 kernel.system not working in 1.5.3 on Windows
- JRUBY-5112 Cannot run 'jruby -S rake test' for Rails project on
Windows in 1.5.3
- JRUBY-5122 Webrick socket.readline causes 100% cpu usage
- JRUBY-5123 Marshal dump format error and inconsistencies with MRI
- JRUBY-5132 java.awt.Component.instance_of?() expects 2 args=09
- JRUBY-5133 Backtick operator does not work on Windows in 1.5.3
- JRUBY-5138 requiring 'ffi' defines class method :error on Module
- JRUBY-5168 Can't include interfaces in a synchronized class


--=20
blog: http://blog.enebo.com=A0 =A0 =A0=A0 twitter: tom_enebo
mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joel VanderWerf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2010
On 11/10/2010 08:06 AM, Thomas E Enebo wrote:
> We also improved the output
> and accuracy of --profile (try it out).


What output are we supposed to see? I just installed 1.5.5 and --profile
doesn't seem to generate anything.

$ jruby -v
jruby 1.5.5 (ruby 1.8.7 patchlevel 249) (2010-11-10 4bd4200) (Java
HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.6.0_22) [amd64-java]

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charles Oliver Nutter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2010
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Joel VanderWerf
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What output are we supposed to see? I just installed 1.5.5 and --profile
> doesn't seem to generate anything.
>
> $ jruby -v
> jruby 1.5.5 (ruby 1.8.7 patchlevel 249) (2010-11-10 4bd4200) (Java
> HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.6.0_22) [amd64-java]


Yeah, sorry about that. There's an update to the jruby-launcher gem
(our native executable) that has not gotten released yet. If you like
you can build it yourself from the repo at
github.com/vvs/jruby-launcher (make ; cp jruby <jruby home>/bin) to
get the new --profile flag.

Catching up from the conference backlog these past couple months

- Charlie

 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick Sieger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2010
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Joel VanderWerf
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What output are we supposed to see? I just installed 1.5.5 and --profile
>> doesn't seem to generate anything.
>>
>> $ jruby -v
>> jruby 1.5.5 (ruby 1.8.7 patchlevel 249) (2010-11-10 4bd4200) (Java
>> HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.6.0_22) [amd64-java]

>
> Yeah, sorry about that. There's an update to the jruby-launcher gem
> (our native executable) that has not gotten released yet. If you like
> you can build it yourself from the repo at
> github.com/vvs/jruby-launcher (make ; cp jruby <jruby home>/bin) to
> get the new --profile flag.
>
> Catching up from the conference backlog these past couple months


Actually, all you need to do is "gem install jruby-launcher" to get
the new version.

/Nick

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joel VanderWerf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2010
On 11/19/2010 09:55 AM, Nick Sieger wrote:
> Actually, all you need to do is "gem install jruby-launcher" to get
> the new version.


Thanks! Should this be installed with MRI gem, or jruby gem ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick Sieger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2010
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Joel VanderWerf
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 11/19/2010 09:55 AM, Nick Sieger wrote:
>>
>> Actually, all you need to do is "gem install jruby-launcher" to get
>> the new version.

>
> Thanks! Should this be installed with MRI gem, or jruby gem ?
>


JRuby! It will compile the native launcher for your system and install
it on top of the existing shell script in $JRUBY_HOME/bin.

/Nick

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joel VanderWerf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2010
On 11/19/2010 03:23 PM, Nick Sieger wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Joel VanderWerf
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 11/19/2010 09:55 AM, Nick Sieger wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, all you need to do is "gem install jruby-launcher" to get
>>> the new version.

>>
>> Thanks! Should this be installed with MRI gem, or jruby gem ?
>>

>
> JRuby! It will compile the native launcher for your system and install
> it on top of the existing shell script in $JRUBY_HOME/bin.


Works now, thanks!

I'm looking at the output from both --profile and --sample. It seems
that --profile measures only jruby methods, and --sample measures only
java functions. (Or maybe --sample would show some of the jruby methods
if they were taking enough time to be observed at a tick. My program is
much more heavily bottlenecked in the java side at the moment.)

Is there any possibility of --profile instrumenting both jruby and java
code?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charles Oliver Nutter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2010
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Joel VanderWerf
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking at the output from both --profile and --sample. It seems that
> --profile measures only jruby methods, and --sample measures only java
> functions. (Or maybe --sample would show some of the jruby methods if the=

y
> were taking enough time to be observed at a tick. My program is much more
> heavily bottlenecked in the java side at the moment.)
>
> Is there any possibility of --profile instrumenting both jruby and java
> code?


Currently, no. Because Ruby dispatches differently than Java,
including both in the same profile is at least difficult, and maybe
impossible. Liken it to wanting to show profile results for both Ruby
and C (or C++, C#, ObjC) in other implementations, when Ruby method
dispatch is actually implemented *in* those native languages. The two
worlds are largely separate.

However...

If you are able to force all Ruby code to compile before invocation
(using -X+C to force all files to compile or -Xjit.threshold=3D1 to
force all methods to compile on first invocation) normal Java
profiling tools will show the compiled Ruby method bodies alongside
regular Java method bodies. Be forewarned, however...as with any C or
C++-based implementation that JITs Ruby code to native code, the
resulting method are "mangled" a bit, and you'll have to do some
manual chewing to interpret them. But at least you can use any of the
dozens of Java profiling tools and show results for both Ruby and Java
at the same time. If there's interest, I could try to do a screencast
of how to do this with various JVM profilers (such as the built-in
-J-Xrunhprof:cpu=3Dtimes):

=E2=9E=94 jruby -J-Xrunhprof:cpu=3Dtimes -e "def foo; a =3D 0; while a < 10=
00; a
+=3D 1; end; end; 100.times { foo }"
Dumping CPU usage by timing methods ... done.

Result, buried in a java.hprof.txt file: https://gist.github.com/728666

Here, the "ruby.__dash_e__.method__0$RUBY$foo" method is the jitted
version of the "foo" method defined above.

Now, on JRuby 1.6, it may be possible to take this mangled output and
at least do a cleanup pass (because we have standardized the mangling
a bit better), but the profiling output is very tool-specific...so
de-mangling would have to happen on a per-tool basis

Another option would be the JXInsight tool
(http://www.jinspired.com/products/jxinsight/), which has builtin
support for profiling Ruby (and may make it possible to combine Ruby
and Java results in the same output. It is, however, a commercial
tool.

- Charlie

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JRubyHub.com: The hub to all JRuby and JRuby on Rails (JRoR)resources... sbaltagi@gmail.com Ruby 0 12-15-2007 07:28 PM
JRubyHub.com: The hub to all JRuby and JRuby on Rails (JRoR)resources... Slim Baltagi Java 0 12-15-2007 07:26 PM
[ANN] [JRuby] Fast Debugger for JRuby Martin Krauskopf Ruby 0 11-11-2007 10:47 PM
[JRuby] JRuby perf questions answered Charles Oliver Nutter Ruby 7 11-01-2007 05:11 AM
Any JRUBY programmers out there? Problems specifying RUBYLIB with jruby. Ronald Fischer Ruby 2 05-16-2007 09:34 PM



Advertisments