Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Password Hashing and Salting - Recommended Reading

Password Hashing and Salting - Recommended Reading

Guadala Harry

Looking for recommendations for *credible* information on implementing
password hashing and salting. I did my own search and came up with a bunch
of somewhat contradictory often "shooting-from-the-hip" and
advertisement-laden pages... looking for something more academic with an
objective treatment of the topic.

Thanks!

Scott Allen

Keith Brown has a brief explanation here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...ecurityBriefs/

HTH,

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:33:09 -0700, "Guadala Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Looking for recommendations for *credible* information on implementing
>password hashing and salting. I did my own search and came up with a bunch
>of somewhat contradictory often "shooting-from-the-hip" and
>advertisement-laden pages... looking for something more academic with an
>objective treatment of the topic.
>
>Thanks!

Greg Burns

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/Tutoria...28327FF14.dcik

Greg

"Guadala Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for recommendations for *credible* information on implementing
> password hashing and salting. I did my own search and came up with a bunch
> of somewhat contradictory often "shooting-from-the-hip" and
> advertisement-laden pages... looking for something more academic with an
> objective treatment of the topic.
>
> Thanks!

Eliyahu Goldin

Building Secure ASP .NET Applications
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...C-BF9C6593F25E

Eliyahu

"Guadala Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for recommendations for *credible* information on implementing
> password hashing and salting. I did my own search and came up with a bunch
> of somewhat contradictory often "shooting-from-the-hip" and
> advertisement-laden pages... looking for something more academic with an
> objective treatment of the topic.
>
> Thanks!

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Here's a couple good articles on hashing:
http://www.aspnetpro.com/NewsletterA...200304so_l.asp

I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
http://Steve.Orr.net