Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > problem with ruby1.9.2 and gems on Debian

problem with ruby1.9.2 and gems on Debian

Jen

Hi,
I installed rubygems 1.3.7, then decided to upgrade from ruby1.8 to
ruby1.9.2.

I forgot to uninstall rubygems before installing ruby1.9.2, as I didn't
realise gems came with it.

Now I want to install some gems, but when I run 'gem install rails' I
get the following error.

ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError)
no such file to load -- zlib
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand

Can I repare 'gems? If not should I remove ruby1.9.2, rubygems1.3.7 and
start again?

It may be worth mentioning that I built these packages on Debian Lenny
from source, and they are not in the database used by 'apt' etc.

I have tried removing all traces of Ruby and rubygems from the system,
then rebuilding and installing ruby1.9.2

Thanks,
Jen.

Rajinder Yadav

On 10-10-24 04:17 PM, Jen wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed rubygems 1.3.7, then decided to upgrade from ruby1.8 to
> ruby1.9.2.
>
> I forgot to uninstall rubygems before installing ruby1.9.2, as I didn't
> realise gems came with it.
>
> Now I want to install some gems, but when I run 'gem install rails' I
> get the following error.
>
> ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError)
> no such file to load -- zlib
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
> uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
>
> Can I repare 'gems? If not should I remove ruby1.9.2, rubygems1.3.7 and
> start again?
>
> It may be worth mentioning that I built these packages on Debian Lenny
> from source, and they are not in the database used by 'apt' etc.
>
> I have tried removing all traces of Ruby and rubygems from the system,
> then rebuilding and installing ruby1.9.2
>
> Thanks,
> Jen.

possibly you just need to do the following to add the missing zlib
header files:

sudo aptitude install zlib1g-dev

you might also want to add these header files(if you have not already)

sudo aptitude install libc6-dev libssl-dev
sudo aptitude install libreadline6-dev zlib1g-dev libsqlite3-dev

once you have a working ruby install rails and sqlite3

sudo gem install rails
sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1

Jen

Hi,

Managed to gget gems working. I had a bit of a problem with aptitude not
removing everything I expected it to, so after a bit of playing I got it
working with ruby-1.9.2.

Now I've got some other issues with my rails app, but I'll post to a
more specific rails forum.

Thanks,
Jen.

On 25/10/10 08:35, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> On 10-10-24 04:17 PM, Jen wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I installed rubygems 1.3.7, then decided to upgrade from ruby1.8 to
>> ruby1.9.2.
>>
>> I forgot to uninstall rubygems before installing ruby1.9.2, as I didn't
>> realise gems came with it.
>>
>> Now I want to install some gems, but when I run 'gem install rails' I
>> get the following error.
>>
>> ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError)
>> no such file to load -- zlib
>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
>> uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
>>
>> Can I repare 'gems? If not should I remove ruby1.9.2, rubygems1.3.7 and
>> start again?
>>
>> It may be worth mentioning that I built these packages on Debian Lenny
>> from source, and they are not in the database used by 'apt' etc.
>>
>> I have tried removing all traces of Ruby and rubygems from the system,
>> then rebuilding and installing ruby1.9.2
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jen.
>>

> possibly you just need to do the following to add the missing zlib
> header files:
>
> sudo aptitude install zlib1g-dev
>
> you might also want to add these header files(if you have not already)
>
> sudo aptitude install libc6-dev libssl-dev
> sudo aptitude install libreadline6-dev zlib1g-dev libsqlite3-dev
>
> once you have a working ruby install rails and sqlite3
>
> sudo gem install rails
> sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby

[ANN] Builds of PyWebkitGtk and Webkit-Glib-Gtk(r39359+#16401.master) for Debian i386,Debian AMD64 and Macports MacOSX 10.4 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton Python 0 12-31-2008 08:23 PM
gems on Debian pedro mg Ruby 2 06-14-2007 04:54 PM
Debian: coexistence of debs and gems? Michael Schuerig Ruby 4 05-05-2005 06:29 AM
Debian Poop...Gems/Rails etc... Tom Willis Ruby 4 03-16-2005 05:19 PM
[Debian] Upgrading to kernel 2.6 in Debian DUser NZ Computing 0 01-11-2004 12:38 AM

Advertisments