Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby and windows GUI

Ruby and windows GUI

spaghetticode

hello,

a friend of mine has asked me to write a quick and simple application
that should run only on windows OSes. It should be a desktop GUI
application. It's pretty simple in its working as it should basically
just move some given files from one location to a couple of others.
I am completely unexperienced on ruby on windows, and have little
experience with ruby and GUIs, so here I am with my questions:
1) guess I should pack it with RubyScript2Exe to make it executable on
any windows machines, right?
2) is there a (quick) way to build a GUI box that will allow me to
select interactively a filesystem path using only the mouse? What
library should I stick to?

Thanks
Andrea

--
MySQL and PHP are popular not because of their quality, but despite it.

Phillip Gawlowski

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:10 PM, spaghetticode
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hello,
>
> 1) guess I should pack it with RubyScript2Exe to make it executable on
> any windows machines, right?

Pretty much. Or you can create a setup archive, including the Ruby
interpreter and your app. It'll clock in rather heavily, but you have
pretty much perfect control where what goes.

> 2) is there a (quick) way to build a GUI box that will allow me to
> select interactively a filesystem path using only the mouse? What
> library should I stick to?

Any will work, and which you want to stick to depends on what GUI
toolkits you have worked with already. If your stance is "no
preference" or "never worked with GUI toolkits at all", you could give
Shoes[0] a try.

[0] http://shoes.heroku.com/

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.

Quintus

Allan Davis

I agree with Quintus, OCRA and wxRuby are the way to go. If you want to see
an example of an application I created for that check out
http://github.com/javaalley/dragons_keep. I also used datamapper for a
database engine.

Allan Davis
http://www.linkedin.com/in/javaalley

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Quintus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

spaghetticode

Allan Davis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I agree with Quintus, OCRA and wxRuby are the way to go. If you want to see
> an example of an application I created for that check out
> http://github.com/javaalley/dragons_keep. I also used datamapper for a
> database engine.

Thanks to everyone for the bootstrap, that was exactly what I needed

Andrea

--
MySQL and PHP are popular not because of their quality, but despite it.

Roger Pack

> a friend of mine has asked me to write a quick and simple application
> that should run only on windows OSes. It should be a desktop GUI
> application. It's pretty simple in its working as it should basically
> just move some given files from one location to a couple of others.

recommend jruby + swing + rawr
-r