Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > repackaging a compiled gem as a binary

repackaging a compiled gem as a binary

Martin DeMello

I've installed the qtbindings gem in an ARM emulator environment
(scratchbox). I'd now like to repackage the compiled code as a
"binary" gem that I can just install in my N900 without having to
compile the C extensions again. How do I go about doing this?

martin

Luis Lavena

On Sep 22, 3:24*pm, Martin DeMello <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've installed the qtbindings gem in an ARM emulator environment
> (scratchbox). I'd now like to repackage the compiled code as a
> "binary" gem that I can just install in my N900 without having to
> compile the C extensions again. How do I go about doing this?

Generate a newer gemspec, remove the extension definitions and include
the resulting .so into the Gem::Specification.

Then, "gem build my.gemspec"

Don't forget to adjust the gem specification platform to the ARM one
so it clearly identifies as binary.

Read RubyGems Specification documentation for more details.

--
Luis Lavena

Martin DeMello

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Luis Lavena <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 22, 3:24=A0pm, Martin DeMello <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've installed the qtbindings gem in an ARM emulator environment
>> (scratchbox). I'd now like to repackage the compiled code as a
>> "binary" gem that I can just install in my N900 without having to
>> compile the C extensions again. How do I go about doing this?
>>

> Generate a newer gemspec, remove the extension definitions and include
> the resulting .so into the Gem::Specification.
>
> Then, "gem build my.gemspec"
>
> Don't forget to adjust the gem specification platform to the ARM one
> so it clearly identifies as binary.
>
> Read RubyGems Specification documentation for more details.

Thanks! When I went to look for the gemspec I noticed that alongside
it was already a qtbindingsnative.gemspec for that very purpose.

martin