Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Embedding Ruby for scripting

Embedding Ruby for scripting

Thorsten Hater

Hello,

I want to use ruby as an embedded scripting language for a C++ game project.
I know some people have done that (sketchup from google at least).
I know how to extend ruby using either Swig, FFI, Rice or classical C
and how to embed the ruby interpreter as such.
But for an embedded scripting system I need to do both, so I can interact
from both sides with the other.
I have read the metaeditor page from sourceforge, but the procedure looks
somewhat painful.
Has anybody some tips on the issue, possibly using pure Rice or Swig?

Thorsten

Ruby User

Thorsten Hater wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use ruby as an embedded scripting language for a C++ game
> project.

I Love Ruby - don't get me wrong - but consider Lua instead:
http://http://www.lua.org/.

Edmond Kachale

2010/9/22 Ruby User <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Thorsten Hater wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to use ruby as an embedded scripting language for a C++ game
> > project.

> I Love Ruby - don't get me wrong - but consider Lua instead:
> http://http://www.lua.org/.

But, watch out for Lua's C stack overflows for input of greater numbers lik=
10000. At least Ruby withstands that to some better extent.

---
Edmond
Software Developer | Baobab Health Trust (http://www.baobabhealth.org/) |
Malawi

Cell: +265 999 465 137 | +265 881 234 717

*"Many people doubt open source software and probably don=92t realize that
there is an alternative=85 which is just as good.." -- Kevin Scannell*

Ruby User

Edmond Kachale wrote:

> But, watch out for Lua's C stack overflows for input of greater numbers
> like
> 10000. At least Ruby withstands that to some better extent.

Your Lua FUD would be more effective if it were a bit more coherent, had
some specificity, and maybe even included a citation or two.