Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > The Great Ruby GUI Toolkit Roundup

The Great Ruby GUI Toolkit Roundup

Ed Howland

Hi,

I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
any that I have most certainly missed.

I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.

If this duplicates another effort, please let me know.

I plan on adding other columns as they become apparent. Such as a
"Gem?" collumn. Ruby version dependency (1.8, 1.9).

[1] http://bit.ly/ald6IP

Or the full link:

Ruby GUI Feature Matrix -
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CKHc3rwM

Cheers,
Ed

Reid Thompson

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 03:04:47AM +0900, Ed Howland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
> complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
> any that I have most certainly missed.
>
> I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
> licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.

I've been working with the IUP toolkit in C for the past week or so; and
I see where it has a ruby binding ruby-iup . I've been really
impressed with the toolkit itself. ruby-iup failed to build for me, but
that may well be due to my specific box ( I tend to get a lot of
bleeding edge libs and such in the way on my box ) since it looks like
the source is fairly recent.

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/en/prod.html

reid

Steve Klabnik

I was going to add some stuff for Shoes, but I can't edit the sheet.

License: BSD

repo: http://github.com/shoes/shoes

Ed Howland

Thanks,

I added it. Feel free to plug any holes in the spreadsheet for it.

Cheers,
Ed

Ed Howland
http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/ed_howland

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Reid Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wro=
te:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 03:04:47AM +0900, Ed Howland wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
>> complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
>> any that I have most certainly missed.
>>
>> I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
>> licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.

> I've been working with the IUP toolkit in C for the past week or so; and
> I see where it has a ruby binding =A0ruby-iup . =A0I've been really
> impressed with the toolkit itself. =A0ruby-iup failed to build for me, bu=

> that may well be due to my specific box ( I tend to get a lot of
> bleeding edge libs and such in the way on my box ) since it looks like
> the source is fairly recent.
>
> http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/en/prod.html
>
> reid

Ed Howland

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Steve Klabnik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was going to add some stuff for Shoes, but I can't edit the sheet.
>
> License: BSD
>
> repo: http://github.com/shoes/shoes

Hmm, I'll check on the sharing settings. I'll add that licence. Thanks.

Cheers,
Ed

Ed Howland
http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/ed_howland

Ed Howland

Sorry, My bad.

Anyone who has the link can edit it now.

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Ed Howland <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Steve Klabnik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was going to add some stuff for Shoes, but I can't edit the sheet.
>>
>> License: BSD
>>
>> repo: http://github.com/shoes/shoes
>>

> Hmm, I'll check on the sharing settings. I'll add that licence. Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Ed
>
> Ed Howland
> http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
> http://twitter.com/ed_howland

Andrea Dallera

Hi,

ruby/Gnome2 is also distributed in gem form - the gem name is
'gtk2'. ruby/gtk2 doesn't exist as a standalone package, it's just a
part of ruby/gnome2.

--
Andrea Dallera
http://github.com/bolthar/freightrain

Il 21/09/2010 20:04, Ed Howland ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
> complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
> any that I have most certainly missed.
>
> I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
> licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.
>
> If this duplicates another effort, please let me know.
>
> I plan on adding other columns as they become apparent. Such as a
> "Gem?" collumn. Ruby version dependency (1.8, 1.9).
>

> [1] http://bit.ly/ald6IP
>
> Or the full link:
>
> Ruby GUI Feature Matrix -
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CKHc3rwM
>
> Cheers,
> Ed

Ed Howland

Thanks, Andrea.

I see you added that.

Do you know if it is covered under the GPL?

BTW, thanks to all who've stepped up to the plate and plugged some
holes in the chart.

Cheers,
Ed

Ed Howland
http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/ed_howland

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Andrea Dallera
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> =A0Hi,
>
> =A0 =A0ruby/Gnome2 is also distributed in gem form - the gem name is 'gtk=

2'.
> ruby/gtk2 doesn't exist as a standalone package, it's just a part of
> ruby/gnome2.
>
> --
> Andrea Dallera
> http://github.com/bolthar/freightrain
> http://usingimho.wordpress.com
>

> Il 21/09/2010 20:04, Ed Howland ha scritto:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
>> complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
>> any that I have most certainly missed.
>>
>> I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
>> licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.
>>
>> If this duplicates another effort, please let me know.
>>
>> I plan on adding other columns as they become apparent. Such as a
>> "Gem?" collumn. Ruby version dependency (1.8, 1.9).
>>

>> [1] http://bit.ly/ald6IP
>>
>> Or the full link:
>>
>> Ruby GUI Feature Matrix -
>>
>> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...VU1KcEJXeXlUV=

lRGdGQzbkJlbXc&hl=3Den&authkey=3DCKHc3rwM

>> Cheers,
>> Ed

Fred L.

Hi,
I'm a beginner with Ruby, but also take some time to find a GUI toolkit
for it.

I found two that are not in your spreadsheet.

a recent and for now simple wrapper for win32api :
http://github.com/arvicco/win
with a gem : http://rubygems.org/gems/win
and doc : http://rubydoc.info/github/arvicco/w.../master/frames

an old one but more complete with several samples and some doc (a part
of the doc is only in Japanese) :
http://www.osk.3web.ne.jp/~nyasu/vruby/vrproject-e.html
there's a link to a formdesigner, but it doesn't work with Ruby 1.9.

Fred..

Ed Howland

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Fred L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a beginner with Ruby, but also take some time to find a GUI toolkit
> for it.
>
> I found two that are not in your spreadsheet.
>
> a recent and for now simple wrapper for win32api :
> http://github.com/arvicco/win
> with a gem : http://rubygems.org/gems/win
> and doc : http://rubydoc.info/github/arvicco/w.../master/frames
>
> an old one but more complete with several samples and some doc (a part
> of the doc is only in Japanese) :
> http://www.osk.3web.ne.jp/~nyasu/vruby/vrproject-e.html
> there's a link to a formdesigner, but it doesn't work with Ruby 1.9.

Yes, I planned on adding some platform specific ones, esp. win32 ones.

I like the first one as it uses FFI and has a simpler syntax.

Both look like worthy additions to the chart. Feel free to add them.