Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [RubyConf] More seats on sale today

[RubyConf] More seats on sale today

David A. Black

Hi all --

More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we run
out of room, whichever comes first.

Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

David

--
David A. Black, Senior Developer, Cyrus Innovation Inc.

The Ruby training with Black/Brown/McAnally
Compleat Philadelphia, PA, October 1-2, 2010
Rubyist http://www.compleatrubyist.com

Ryan Davis

On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:

> Hi all --
>=20
> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we run
> out of room, whichever comes first.
>=20
> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and schedule =
are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

James Edward Gray II

On Sep 17, 2010, at 12:27 AM, Ryan Davis wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
>=20
>> Hi all --
>>=20
>> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
>> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we =

run
>> out of room, whichever comes first.
>>=20
>> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

>=20
> I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and =

schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

I seems very strange to me too.

James Edward Gray II=

Rob Biedenharn

On Sep 17, 2010, at 11:39 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2010, at 12:27 AM, Ryan Davis wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all --
>>>
>>> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to
>>> some
>>> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we
>>> run
>>> out of room, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

>> I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and
>> schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

> I seems very strange to me too.
>
> James Edward Gray II

Particularly the second round. I could understand if it were more like:

* limited seats are opened and call for talks is still open
* proposals closed
* speakers and schedule announced
* all remaining seats are opened for registration

but I'm with Ryan and James (and *many* others) who don't understand
the current situation.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) http://AgileConsultingLLC.com/
(E-Mail Removed) http://GaslightSoftware.com/

Matt Lawrence

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Ryan Davis wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
>
>> Hi all --
>>
>> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
>> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we run
>> out of room, whichever comes first.
>>
>> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

> I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

I'm ok with it, I trust them to put together a good lineup.

The problem I'm having is that the hotel doesn't have rooms available at
the conference rate. Does anyone know of nearby hotels that are cheaper?
I'm planning on driving, so even a few miles away would work.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.

Yossef Mendelssohn

On Sep 17, 12:27=A0am, Ryan Davis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and schedule a=

re announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

Because it's what the market will bear.

--
-yossef

Gary Wright

On Sep 17, 2010, at 1:27 AM, Ryan Davis wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
>=20
>> Hi all --
>>=20
>> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
>> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we =

run
>> out of room, whichever comes first.
>>=20
>> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

>=20
> I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and =

schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

It is also a bit difficult to schedule travel if you don't know the =
start/end times for the sessions.

Gary Wright=

David A. Black

Hi --

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Gary Wright wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2010, at 1:27 AM, Ryan Davis wrote:
>> On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all --
>>>
>>> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
>>> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we run
>>> out of room, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

>> I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

> It is also a bit difficult to schedule travel if you don't know the start/end times for the sessions.

We'll start at 9:00 on Thursday, and end around 4:00 on Saturday. As for
the ticket sales and schedule and so on, it's just how it played out
this year. Usually it isn't that way, but I'm not too worried about it
since at this point it's pretty well-known what kind of program we
offer, if not the details of every talk. We're well on the way to
finishing up the schedule.

David