Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby Documentation

Reply
Thread Tools

Ruby Documentation

 
 
Tom Wardrop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2010
Hi All,

I'm looking to move from PHP to Ruby as my web development platform of
choice. Over the years, I've become very fond of PHP's documentation
simply because it's easy to find the information your after, and the
user comments can really come in handy. I used the documentation as an
API reference mainly, which is exactly what I plan to use Ruby's
documentation for. I'm a little unimpressed however by the API reference
found here on the Ruby website: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/

I'm wondering if this is what everyone refers to when checking up on the
API, or if there's another means by which you access this information. I
personally am finding the documentation linked to above a pain in the
ass to search and navigate so I'm hoping there's something better out
there somewhere, preferably that doesn't use god damn frames; god damn
usability nightmare they are.

Cheers,
Tom
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tom Wardrop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2010
Christopher Dicely wrote:
> Ruby is usually bundled with docs (usually, for the included ri tool,
> though RubyInstaller on Windows has CHM docs, instead.)


Thanks Chris. I just found the CHM documentation on my Windows 7 box as
it's much much better than the online documentation. It actually
mentions class inheritance.
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alexandre Friquet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2010
Hi Tom,

Tom Wardrop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm a little unimpressed however by the API reference
> found here on the Ruby website: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/
>
> I'm wondering if this is what everyone refers to when checking up on the
> API, or if there's another means by which you access this information.


A new way to see the doc appeared some weeks ago with
http://rubydoc.info/, but it seems to be out at the moment I write
this...

Another tool I use is http://railsapi.com/. There is a link "build your
custom package" where you can prepare your pakcage (Rails, Ruby and/or
other gems), download it and have it online with a search field as the
one online for Rails :
http://railsapi.com/doc/rails-v3.0.0/

HTH
--
@lex
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rahul Kumar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2010
Alexandre Friquet wrote:
> Hi Tom,


> A new way to see the doc appeared some weeks ago with
> http://xxx.info/, but it seems to be out at the moment I write
> this...
>


I believe the correct url is http://rdoc.info but even this appears to
be down.
I use 1.9.2 but am sadly stuck looking at 1.8.4 docs downloaded long ago
from the ruby site, viewed using "links" inside a "screen" tab.
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Alexandre Friquet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2010
Rahul Kumar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I believe the correct url is http://rdoc.info but even this appears to
> be down.


I think both should work

> I use 1.9.2 but am sadly stuck looking at 1.8.4 docs downloaded long ago
> from the ruby site, viewed using "links" inside a "screen" tab.


Why not donwloading the 1.9.2 pack on http://railsapi.com ? These are
only simple HTML files with listing and search field

--
@lex
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rahul Kumar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2010
Alexandre Friquet wrote:
> Rahul Kumar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I believe the correct url is http://rdoc.info but even this appears to
>> be down.

>
> I think both should work
>
>> I use 1.9.2 but am sadly stuck looking at 1.8.4 docs downloaded long ago
>> from the ruby site, viewed using "links" inside a "screen" tab.

>
> Why not donwloading the 1.9.2 pack on http://railsapi.com ? These are
> only simple HTML files with listing and search field


I was talking about ruby core and stdlib's for 1.9.2. It seems the above
link is for rails documentation only.
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Clifford Heath
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2010
Tom Wardrop wrote:
> I'm a little unimpressed however by the API reference
> found here on the Ruby website: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/


I like to run a "gem server" and read the docs at http://localhost:8808

Clifford Heath.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alexandre Friquet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2010
Rahul Kumar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was talking about ruby core and stdlib's for 1.9.2. It seems the above
> link is for rails documentation only.


Nope, have a look of my first entry on this topic, you can build the
package you want, so only Ruby 1.9.2 if you want. I diid it so you
should be able to do so )

--
@lex
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
converting XSD documentation to HTML documentation kev.sully@gmail.com XML 1 09-16-2006 12:09 PM
#!/usr/bin/ruby , #!/usr/bin/ruby -w , #!/usr/bin/ruby -T?, #!/usr/bin/ruby -T1... anne001 Ruby 1 04-23-2006 03:02 PM
Code documentation tool similar to what Ruby (on Rails?) uses Ksenia Marasanova Python 3 06-12-2005 09:07 PM
Python documentation: How about structured documentation? Looking for comments/suggestions Kenneth McDonald Python 2 05-06-2004 04:11 AM
Principles of documentation (was: Python Documentation Blows!) Cameron Laird Python 1 04-03-2004 06:54 PM



Advertisments