Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Quickbooks gem

Quickbooks gem

Eduardo Blumenfeld

Hi everyone,

Has anyone have any recent notice about www.behindlogic.com - the author
of the
quickbooks gem?

The gem seems to be a great tool for the job of comunicating with
quickbooks from a ruby aplication.

However what I see is that the last entry in the blog is from february
28th, 2010.

The other point is that it seems not to work with IronRuby.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me...

Regards,

Eduardo Blumenfeld

Eduardo Blumenfeld

Has anyone have a hint?

Thank you,

Eduardo Blumenfeld
Eduardo Blumenfeld wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Has anyone have any recent notice about www.behindlogic.com - the author
> of the
> quickbooks gem?
>
> The gem seems to be a great tool for the job of comunicating with
> quickbooks from a ruby aplication.
>
> However what I see is that the last entry in the blog is from february
> 28th, 2010.
>
> The other point is that it seems not to work with IronRuby.
>
> Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me...
>
> Regards,
>
> Eduardo Blumenfeld

Charles Calvert

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:21:31 -0500, Eduardo Blumenfeld
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Has anyone have any recent notice about www.behindlogic.com -
> the author of the quickbooks gem?

[snip]

> However what I see is that the last entry in the blog is from
> february 28th, 2010.

It looks like his last tweet was in April 2010 and his last update to
his github account was May 14, 2010. The github account lists an
email address that you could use to contact him (not posted here to
avoid feeding the spambots).
--
Charles Calvert
Moderator - alt.computer.consultants.moderated

Suraj Kurapati

Eduardo Blumenfeld wrote:
> The other point is that it seems not to work with IronRuby.

IronRuby is no longer developed or supported by Microsoft:

http://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/2010...-of-jimmy.html

You might want to use the regular Ruby (MRI) instead:

http://rubyinstaller.org/

There is also JRuby if your environment is Java friendly:

http://jruby.org/

Cheers.

Cody Fauser

Unfortunately Daniel Parker, author of the Quickbooks gem, passed away
in a tragic bicycle accident:
http://continuousthinking.com/2010/5...arker-accident

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Eduardo Blumenfeld
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Has anyone have any recent notice about www.behindlogic.com - the author
> of the
> quickbooks gem?
>
> The gem seems to be a great tool for the job of comunicating with
> quickbooks from a ruby aplication.
>
> However what I see is that the last entry in the blog is from february
> 28th, 2010.
>
> The other point is that it seems not to work with IronRuby.
>
> Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me...
>
> Regards,
>
> Eduardo Blumenfeld

Cody Fauser
http://shopify.com - e-commerce done right
http://www.codyfauser.com - blog
http://peepcode.com/products/activemerchant-pdf - ActiveMerchant PeepCode

Eduardo Blumenfeld

It is sad to hear that, specially being so young (23 years old!!!)

Would it help someone in his family if we buy the ruby gem from his
web-site?

Thank you for the quick answer.

Cody Fauser wrote:
> Unfortunately Daniel Parker, author of the Quickbooks gem, passed away
> in a tragic bicycle accident:
> http://continuousthinking.com/2010/5...arker-accident
>
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Eduardo Blumenfeld

Charles Calvert

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:17:28 -0500, Suraj Kurapati <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Eduardo Blumenfeld wrote:
>> The other point is that it seems not to work with IronRuby.

>IronRuby is no longer developed or supported by Microsoft:
>
>http://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/2010...-of-jimmy.html

Note that the key phrase here is "by Microsoft". The project is still
alive. The blog author indicated that he and his former coworker
would continue working on it, just not full-time. You can also see
activity here: <http://ironruby.net/Special:Recentchanges>.
--
Charles Calvert
Moderator - alt.computer.consultants.moderated
Submission Address: (E-Mail Removed)
Contact Address: (E-Mail Removed)

Eduardo Blumenfeld

Charles, you are right.
Microsoft lost interest in promoting Dynamic Languages (to a point),
however
the idea of IronRuby has a lot of potential.

Anyways, this issue is off-topic.

Going back to Quickbooks gem, I can still get it, paying for it
obviously...

Thanks in advance...

Eduardo Blumenfeld

Charles Calvert wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:17:28 -0500, Suraj Kurapati <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>Eduardo Blumenfeld wrote:
>>> The other point is that it seems not to work with IronRuby.

>>IronRuby is no longer developed or supported by Microsoft:
>>
>>http://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/2010...-of-jimmy.html

> Note that the key phrase here is "by Microsoft". The project is still
> alive. The blog author indicated that he and his former coworker
> would continue working on it, just not full-time. You can also see
> activity here: <http://ironruby.net/Special:Recentchanges>.

Charles Calvert

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:33:51 -0500, Eduardo Blumenfeld
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Going back to Quickbooks gem, I can still get it, paying for it
>obviously...

Out of curiosity, does it come with source?
--
Charles Calvert
Moderator - alt.computer.consultants.moderated
Submission Address: (E-Mail Removed)
Contact Address: (E-Mail Removed)

Eduardo Blumenfeld

Charles,
Actually Mine was a question:
Can I still get the gem by paying it?

Regarding that, a gem, as far as I know, is a collection of .rb files,
so the source is there...

Thank you,

Eduardo Blumenfeld