Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Weirdest IRB / Rails console problem

Weirdest IRB / Rails console problem

Ray K.

I have a really weird problem. In IRB / Rails Console I cannot type a
Capital C.

My system: OS X, 10.6.4
Ruby Version: 1.9.2.rc2, as well as 1.9.1.p378

The "C" works everywhere else, in OSX, in the Terminal, but not in IRB.
Not even if I copy one in from somewhere else.

I tried another ruby version, I tried wiping my .irbrc, no luck so far.
I'm really happy vor any suggestions.

Thanks
Ray

Ray K.

Ray K. wrote:
> I have a really weird problem. In IRB / Rails Console I cannot type a
> Capital C.
>
> My system: OS X, 10.6.4
> Ruby Version: 1.9.2.rc2, as well as 1.9.1.p378
>
> The "C" works everywhere else, in OSX, in the Terminal, but not in IRB.
> Not even if I copy one in from somewhere else.
>
> I tried another ruby version, I tried wiping my .irbrc, no luck so far.
> I'm really happy vor any suggestions.
>
> Thanks
> Ray

I'm using workarounds here, or avoiding classes beginning with C. If
anyone has the same problem contact me at ticktricktrack(at)gmail.com.
Even if this post has gone stale.

Ray

Brian Candler

Only a guess, but maybe a problem with libreadline?

Try: irb --noreadline

and see if you can type normally. (Admittedly, not having line editing
is a real pain, but it would help to localise the problem)

If this is the problem: you could check /etc/inputrc, ~/.inputrc and the
INPUTRC environment variable (echo $INPUTRC)

Ray K.

Brian Candler wrote:
> Only a guess, but maybe a problem with libreadline?
>
> Try: irb --noreadline
>
> and see if you can type normally. (Admittedly, not having line editing
> is a real pain, but it would help to localise the problem)
>
> If this is the problem: you could check /etc/inputrc, ~/.inputrc and the
> INPUTRC environment variable (echo $INPUTRC)

Thanks, that helped a lot.
I finally fixed it with

∴ rvm package install readline
∴ rvm remove 1.9.2-rc2
∴ rvm install 1.9.2-rc2 -C --with-readline-dir=$HOME/.rvm/usr

http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/packages/readline/

Ray

THE Weirdest Cisco problem ever unix Cisco 1 07-26-2012 02:06 PM
weirdest day Mara Computer Support 0 08-31-2007 12:22 PM
Weirdest Problem Ive Ever Seen (Reboot Loop) Strow Computer Support 4 02-01-2006 04:30 PM
Gnuplot.py and, _by far_, the weirdest thing I've ever seen on my computer syd Python 9 04-11-2005 02:53 PM

Advertisments