Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages

Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages

Chris Zoper

Hello,

Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages. The pages are
very 'normal' pages though. There is no 'dangerous' code in it or
something like that. Also, the page is not in a pop-up. Most of my pages
work just fine, but when I navigate to a specific page, it won't open. I
don't get an exception or a warning, the page just won't finish loading.
When I disable Norton Internet Security, it works fine again.

Also when I set the page as the start-page of my ASP.NET project, the
page just won't load.

Does anyone know what can cause this problem?

Greetings,
Chris.

Curt_C [MVP]

you just said it... Norton.
Sounds like the DESKTOP version of Nortom has issues when trying to run in a
SERVER type environment.
Disable script blocking and just leave it like that.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"Chris Zoper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages. The pages are
> very 'normal' pages though. There is no 'dangerous' code in it or
> something like that. Also, the page is not in a pop-up. Most of my pages
> work just fine, but when I navigate to a specific page, it won't open. I
> don't get an exception or a warning, the page just won't finish loading.
> When I disable Norton Internet Security, it works fine again.
>
> Also when I set the page as the start-page of my ASP.NET project, the
> page just won't load.
>
> Does anyone know what can cause this problem?
>
> Greetings,
> Chris.

Karl

You shoulnd't rely on UrlReferrer anyways..but yes, Norton will strip it
out.

Zone Alarm doesn't play nice with forms authentication (it'll block the
cookie, but not other ones).

Anyways, such behaviour is pretty common with software firewalls and there's
typically little that can be done (short of shutting it off)

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

"Rich G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We were getting similar issues from users who were using Norton Internet
> Security or Zone Alarm.
>
> In our case, we had to quit using the HttpRequest.UrlReferrer property in
> our pages. Norton and ZoneAlarm strip that out of the Request header so

it
> is not available and you cannot rely on it in your code.
>
> "Chris Zoper" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages. The pages are
> > very 'normal' pages though. There is no 'dangerous' code in it or
> > something like that. Also, the page is not in a pop-up. Most of my pages
> > work just fine, but when I navigate to a specific page, it won't open. I
> > don't get an exception or a warning, the page just won't finish loading.
> > When I disable Norton Internet Security, it works fine again.
> >
> > Also when I set the page as the start-page of my ASP.NET project, the
> > page just won't load.
> >
> > Does anyone know what can cause this problem?
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Chris.

Kevin Spencer

Just an observation: Norton is arguably the best anti-virus software on the
market (at least it is the most popular), and it sucks, in a word.
Considering how important and costly Internet security is, you would think
SOMEBODY out ther would author a non-invasive anti-virus software package.
My guess is, whoever can do so will own the market.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Karl" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME net> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You shoulnd't rely on UrlReferrer anyways..but yes, Norton will strip it
> out.
>
> Zone Alarm doesn't play nice with forms authentication (it'll block the
> cookie, but not other ones).
>
> Anyways, such behaviour is pretty common with software firewalls and

there's
> typically little that can be done (short of shutting it off)
>
> Karl
>
> --
> MY ASP.Net tutorials
> http://www.openmymind.net/
>

> "Rich G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We were getting similar issues from users who were using Norton Internet
> > Security or Zone Alarm.
> >
> > In our case, we had to quit using the HttpRequest.UrlReferrer property

in
> > our pages. Norton and ZoneAlarm strip that out of the Request header so

> it
> > is not available and you cannot rely on it in your code.
> >
> > "Chris Zoper" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages. The pages

are
> > > very 'normal' pages though. There is no 'dangerous' code in it or
> > > something like that. Also, the page is not in a pop-up. Most of my

pages
> > > work just fine, but when I navigate to a specific page, it won't open.

> > > don't get an exception or a warning, the page just won't finish

> > > When I disable Norton Internet Security, it works fine again.
> > >
> > > Also when I set the page as the start-page of my ASP.NET project, the
> > > page just won't load.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what can cause this problem?
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > > Chris.
> > >

> > > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
> > > Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

Karl

Is that a business proposition

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just an observation: Norton is arguably the best anti-virus software on

the
> market (at least it is the most popular), and it sucks, in a word.
> Considering how important and costly Internet security is, you would think
> SOMEBODY out ther would author a non-invasive anti-virus software package.
> My guess is, whoever can do so will own the market.
>
> --
> HTH,
> Kevin Spencer
> .Net Developer
> Microsoft MVP
> I get paid good money to
> solve puzzles for a living
>
> "Karl" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME net> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You shoulnd't rely on UrlReferrer anyways..but yes, Norton will strip it
> > out.
> >
> > Zone Alarm doesn't play nice with forms authentication (it'll block the
> > cookie, but not other ones).
> >
> > Anyways, such behaviour is pretty common with software firewalls and

> there's
> > typically little that can be done (short of shutting it off)
> >
> > Karl
> >
> > --
> > MY ASP.Net tutorials
> > http://www.openmymind.net/
> >

> > "Rich G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > We were getting similar issues from users who were using Norton

Internet
> > > Security or Zone Alarm.
> > >
> > > In our case, we had to quit using the HttpRequest.UrlReferrer property

> in
> > > our pages. Norton and ZoneAlarm strip that out of the Request header

so
> > it
> > > is not available and you cannot rely on it in your code.

> are

> pages

open.

the

Ted Harper

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:02:51 -0700, Chris Zoper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Norton Internet Security blocks some of my ASP.NET pages. The pages are
>very 'normal' pages though. There is no 'dangerous' code in it or
>something like that. Also, the page is not in a pop-up. Most of my pages
>work just fine, but when I navigate to a specific page, it won't open.

We had a similar problem with NIS and our ASP.Net application.
Specifically on our General Manager's XP Pro laptop, which he uses for
product demos with the application installed locally, if NIS is
enabled, then just a _couple_ of the dynamic images (ie *.ASPX pages
outputting dynamic image/png charts) fail to load - red X in browser,
nothing logged anywhere, no exception thrown in our code. That is, two
out of about 30 of these pages (all using the same base class and
output mechanism) are blocked/broken when NIS is enabled.

I don't know if this relates to your experience at all with your
ASP.Net (presumably text/html) pages, but it is only the _largest_ two
of our dynamic charts (heights of about 7000 pixels and 20000 pixels
respectively - displayed in a scrolling DIV) which this issue happens
with, and ONLY when the app is locally hosted (ie the same build of
the code works perfectly when accessed from his laptop over our
intranet or over the net), and not reported by any of our cllients in
any of their "normal" server->client use. Perhaps NIS blocks or has
some overflow when scanning really large locally-sourced (ie
"outgoing") streams, or ones that are generated more slowly, or
something mysterious like that?

As you've described, simply disabling NIS and refreshing the page
makes it work normally, and re-enabling it and refreshing again repros
the problem 100% repeatably (but always only on the same
pages/images).

Aside from the above I can't offer any explanation at all as to why
just two pages out of our entire app would be affected by NIS (and
also why it seems only a problem with local/loopback use of the
ASP.Net app with NIS, not when the same laptop accesses the same
application on a server). We ended up simply taking the advice of
Symantec and Microsoft that NIS and IIS just don't get on (IIS is for
servers, NIS is for workstations), and our GM is now using NAV
together with the XPSP2 firewall and no problems at all.

ted.h.
--
Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)