Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > how to use xslt on Windows Ruby

how to use xslt on Windows Ruby

Author

Hi,
I am new to Ruby, i just want to automate my daily work by using some ruby
script. here is a question, how to use xslt in Ruby under Windows, since
Windows is my working system. Here are my job to be done: I need to
transform some .Net resource files(.resx) to a special xml format which will
be used in our company's translation system, and after translation, the xml
files need to be transformed back to .Net resource files.
Ruby is easy to learn, however, when i try to use xslt, i found that there
is no working xslt lib(or gems in ruby world) for Windows, the famous
ruby-xslt gems only works for linux, I googled from Internet, and some
articles say recomipling the libxml is necessary, why things are so
complicated, shouldn't ruby be the SIMPLER language?

anybody knows how to do this?
thanks in advance!

--

Best regards,
Liang

Author

any idea?

--

Best regards,
Liang

brabuhr@gmail.com

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Author <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am new to Ruby, i just want to automate my daily work by using some ruby
> script. here is a question, how to use xslt in Ruby under Windows, since
> Windows is my working system. Here are my job to be done: I need to
> transform some .Net resource files(.resx) to a special xml format which will
> be used in our company's translation system, and after translation, the xml
> files need to be transformed back to .Net resource files.
> Ruby is easy to learn, however, when i try to use xslt, i found that there
> is no working xslt lib(or gems in ruby world) for Windows, the famous
> ruby-xslt gems only works for linux, I googled from Internet, and some
> articles say recomipling the libxml is necessary, why things are so
> complicated, shouldn't ruby be the SIMPLER language?
>
> anybody knows how to do this?

No I don't, but this was the sixth result for "ruby xslt windows" on Google:

Using Ruby on Rails and XSLT to Create a Word 2007 Document
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ice.12%29.aspx

The Ruby on Rails applications that you create in this Visual How To
uses the following components, which you must install before you build
the application:

* Ruby version 1.8.6 language.
* RubyGems version 1.3.5
* Ruby package manager to enable installation of Ruby gems.
* Rails version 2.3.2 Web development framework.
* ZipRuby gem version 0.3.2 to provide Ruby language bindings for
libzip library for reading, creating, and modifying zip
archives to enable
working with Word 2007 documents as ZIP files.
* Nokogiri gem version 1.3.3 to enable XML document support.
* LibXml-Ruby gem version 1.1.3 to provide Ruby language bindings for
the GNOME Libxml2 XML toolkit.
* LibXSLT-Ruby gem version 0.9.2 to provide Ruby language bindings for
the GNOME Libxslt toolkit.

So it looks like:

gem install nokogiri libxml-ruby libxslt-ruby

And the documentation for libxslt-ruby:

http://libxsl.rubyforge.org/

Mike Dalessio

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Author <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to Ruby, i just want to automate my daily work by using some ruby
> script. here is a question, how to use xslt in Ruby under Windows, since
> Windows is my working system.

Please take a look at the nokogiri gem. It contains a version of libxml that
is pre-built for windows, and supports xslt functionality.

You can get more information be emailing the nokogiri-talk mailing list at

Author

Thank you,
I will have a try, hope it works

--