Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Unable to access the elements in an array with array[1][0]

Reply
Thread Tools

Unable to access the elements in an array with array[1][0]

 
 
Arti Singh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2010
I feel quite silly asking this question, but here I am. I have what I
believe to be a 2 dimensional array, but I can not access the elements
in the array with the array syntax array[1][0] when I select the first
element in the array with array.first or array[1], I get
array[["first","first value"]] but I am not able to access the string
"first" or the string "first value"

my array looks like :
[["first","first value"]]
[["second","second value"]]
[["third","third value"]]
[["third","third value"]]
[["fifth","fifth value"]]

How can I get the elements in this array? am I missing something here?
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
James
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2010
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Arti Singh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I feel quite silly asking this question, but here I am. I have what I
> believe to be a 2 dimensional array, but I can not access the elements
> in the array with the array syntax array[1][0] when I select the first
> element in the array with array.first or array[1], I get
> array[["first","first value"]] but I am not able to access the string
> "first" or the string "first value"
>
> my array looks like :
> [["first","first value"]]
> [["second","second value"]]
> [["third","third value"]]
> [["third","third value"]]
> [["fifth","fifth value"]]
>
> How can I get the elements in this array? am I missing something here?
> --
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>
> You don't need double brackets to declare an array.


["first","first value"]
["second","second value"]
["third","third value"]
["third","third value"]
["fifth","fifth value"]

You declared an invalid multidimensional array. To declare a
multidimensional array:

[["first","first value"], ["second","second value"], ["third","third
value"], ["third","third value"], ["fifth","fifth value"]]


Your multidimensional array looks like this:
[["first","first value"]]

The second set of brackets are closing off the first multidimensional array.
At that point, you're trying to access array[1][0], but there's only a
zeroeth element. Remember: the first element in any array is at offset 0, so
to access the first element of this multidimensional array: array[0][0]

Make sense?

James



If you're declaring a multid

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Arti Singh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2010
Thanks, James. I owe you one.
I had been reading the data from the datasource incorrectly.
xclworksheet.Range("A1:B20").rows.each{|r|ea_array .push(r.value.inspect)
instead I should have just done
ea_array=xclworksheet.Range("A1:B20")['Value']










James wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Arti Singh <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> [["third","third value"]]
>> [["third","third value"]]
>> [["fifth","fifth value"]]
>>
>> How can I get the elements in this array? am I missing something here?
>> --
>> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>>
>> You don't need double brackets to declare an array.

>
> ["first","first value"]
> ["second","second value"]
> ["third","third value"]
> ["third","third value"]
> ["fifth","fifth value"]
>
> You declared an invalid multidimensional array. To declare a
> multidimensional array:
>
> [["first","first value"], ["second","second value"], ["third","third
> value"], ["third","third value"], ["fifth","fifth value"]]
>
>
> Your multidimensional array looks like this:
> [["first","first value"]]
>
> The second set of brackets are closing off the first multidimensional
> array.
> At that point, you're trying to access array[1][0], but there's only a
> zeroeth element. Remember: the first element in any array is at offset
> 0, so
> to access the first element of this multidimensional array: array[0][0]
>
> Make sense?
>
> James
>
>
>
> If you're declaring a multid


--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to access HDD / Windows unable to complete format rmundy Hardware 1 08-13-2010 08:57 AM
XML elements to JavaScript Array elements Conversion P XML 1 07-07-2006 09:08 PM
unable to access the values of input elements created using javascript Vikram ASP .Net 6 04-07-2005 03:46 AM
searching elements of an array within another array diffused Java 9 08-01-2004 10:09 AM
Find if elements of one array are present in the other and return a boolean array Shalini C++ 2 01-09-2004 06:13 PM



Advertisments