Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > stop program with entering a key...

stop program with entering a key...

hazal Ates

i m a new in Ruby . sorry may be its a silly question.
my small game " finding a randon number" in codes i want to put
"pls press -1 to stop game"
or
end of first game i want to ask
"do you cont. or stop ( y / n ) enter , pls"

but i dont know that how (-1) or y/n work to stop or cont.

i want to like this code :
if keyenter=(-1) goto last line and stop
if keyenter = y goto beginning of game
if keyenter = n goto end of prog. it says puts "thank you , game over"
like this...

Michael Jackson

The following code doesn't do exactly what you need, but it should be
enough to get you started in the right direction.

def prompt
STDOUT.write ">> "
gets
end

def game_over
puts "thank you.\ngame over!"
exit
end

trap ("INT") { puts; game_over }

puts "welcome to my game. please press 'q' to quit."

while (code =3D prompt)
case code.strip
when "y"
puts "start game"
when "q"
game_over
else
puts "sorry, i don't understand."
end
end

--
Michael Jackson
http://mjijackson.com

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 5:50 AM, hazal Ates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> i m a new in Ruby . sorry may be its a silly question.
> my small game " finding a randon number" in codes i want to put
> "pls press -1 to stop game"
> or
> end of first game i want to ask
> "do you cont. or =A0stop ( y / n ) enter , pls"
>
> but i dont know that how (-1) or y/n work to stop or cont.
>
> i want to like this code =A0:
> if keyenter=3D(-1) goto last line and stop
> if keyenter =3D y goto beginning of game
> if keyenter =3D n goto end of prog. it says puts "thank you , game over"
> like this...

hazal Ates

Michael Jackson wrote:
> The following code doesn't do exactly what you need, but it should be
> enough to get you started in the right direction.
>
> def prompt
> STDOUT.write ">> "
> gets
> end
>
> def game_over
> puts "thank you.\ngame over!"
> exit
> end
>
> trap ("INT") { puts; game_over }
>
> puts "welcome to my game. please press 'q' to quit."
>
> while (code = prompt)
> case code.strip
> when "y"
> puts "start game"
> when "q"
> game_over
> else
> puts "sorry, i don't understand."
> end
> end
>
> --
> Michael Jackson
> http://mjijackson.com
> @mjijackson

thank you MJ

my desire generaaly not for func. of this but

after press. "y" for example ( at the last line ) prog execution must
GOTO beginning of program .

may be you now in pascal its easy with GOTO

Thiago Massa

Just define a function like "play_game" and do a loop that gets the input in
order to play the game or not and calls that function.

I don't even know how to use goto's.

2010/7/26 hazal Ates <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Michael Jackson wrote:
> > The following code doesn't do exactly what you need, but it should be
> > enough to get you started in the right direction.
> >
> > def prompt
> > STDOUT.write ">> "
> > gets
> > end
> >
> > def game_over
> > puts "thank you.\ngame over!"
> > exit
> > end
> >
> > trap ("INT") { puts; game_over }
> >
> > puts "welcome to my game. please press 'q' to quit."
> >
> > while (code = prompt)
> > case code.strip
> > when "y"
> > puts "start game"
> > when "q"
> > game_over
> > else
> > puts "sorry, i don't understand."
> > end
> > end
> >
> > --
> > Michael Jackson
> > http://mjijackson.com
> > @mjijackson

> thank you MJ
>
> my desire generaaly not for func. of this but
>
> after press. "y" for example ( at the last line ) prog execution must
> GOTO beginning of program .
>
> may be you now in pascal its easy with GOTO

Thiago Fernandes Massa
11 83979414

Jean-Julien Fleck

Hello,

> I don't even know how to use goto's.

Concerning GOTO's, there is a little comic I really like:

http://xkcd.com/292/

)

--=20
JJ Fleck
PCSI1 Lyc=E9e Kl=E9ber

hazal Ates

Thiago Massa wrote:
> Just define a function like "play_game" and do a loop that gets the
> input in
> order to play the game or not and calls that function.
>
> I don't even know how to use goto's.
>
> 2010/7/26 hazal Ates <(E-Mail Removed)>

thank you TM and others ;

let me give an example what i want in Pascal code :

writeln('continue ? // finish game =====> y / n ');
writeln;
readln(k);
if (k='E') or (k='e')
then
goto (begining of prog.);

can you give an example to run same code in ruby ?

hazal Ates

hazal Ates wrote:

>> 2010/7/26 hazal Ates <(E-Mail Removed)>

> thank you TM and others ;
>
> let me give an example what i want in Pascal code :
>
> writeln('continue ? // finish game =====> y / n ');
> writeln;
> readln(k);
> if (k='E') or (k='e')
> then
> goto (begining of prog.);
>
> can you give an example to run same code in ruby ?

change the line like ; if (k='Y') or (k='y')

Giampiero Zanchi

def menu
p "Write a number"
p "Q to stop"