Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > How to uninstall ruby on FreeBSD 8.0?

How to uninstall ruby on FreeBSD 8.0?

Wilson Wang

Dear all,

I am so stupid to install ruby in a wrong way so that I don't know how
to uninstall it from my server (OS: FreeBSD 8.0) now.

I did the following things:

1. wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org//pub/ruby/1.....1-p378.tar.gz

2. tar xzvf ruby-1.9.1-p378.tar.gz

3. cd ruby-1.9.1-p378

4. sudo make install

I just found the version I installed is not proper for my computer; it
should be for "amd64-freebsd8" rather than "x86_64-freebsd8.0". However,
I don't know how to deinstall it! There is no "deinstall" instruction in
the Makefile. Can anyone help me solve this problem? Thank you very
much!

Sincerely,
Wilson

Jason Stewart

Hi Wilson,

Everything should be in /usr/local unless you changed the prefix in
the configure script.

/usr/local/lib/ruby,
/usr/local/bin/{ruby,ri,erb,irb}

May I suggest the ruby19 port from the ports system, or if you want newer, rvm?
http://www.freebsd.org/ports
http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/

Regards,
Jason

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Wilson Wang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am so stupid to install ruby in a wrong way so that I don't know how
> to uninstall it from my server (OS: FreeBSD 8.0) now.
>
> I did the following things:
>
> 1. wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org//pub/ruby/1.....1-p378.tar.gz
>
> 2. tar xzvf ruby-1.9.1-p378.tar.gz
>
> 3. cd ruby-1.9.1-p378
>
> 4. sudo make install
>

> I just found the version I installed is not proper for my computer; it
> should be for "amd64-freebsd8" rather than "x86_64-freebsd8.0". However,
> I don't know how to deinstall it! There is no "deinstall" instruction in
> the Makefile. Can anyone help me solve this problem? Thank you very
> much!
>
> Sincerely,
> Wilson

Wilson Wang

Jason Stewart wrote:
> Hi Wilson,
>
> Everything should be in /usr/local unless you changed the prefix in
> the configure script.
>
> /usr/local/lib/ruby,
> /usr/local/bin/{ruby,ri,erb,irb}
>
> May I suggest the ruby19 port from the ports system, or if you want
> newer, rvm?
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports
> http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/
>
> Regards,
> Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your prompt reply!
No, I did not change the prefix in the configure script.
Therefore, do you mean that I can easily remove all of the dependent
files in /usr/local/lib/ruby and /usr/local/bin/{ruby,ri,erb,irb}?

More specifically:
rm -r /usr/local/lib/ruby
rm -r /usr/local/bin/ruby
rm -r /usr/local/bin/ri
rm -r /usr/local/bin/erb
rm -r /usr/local/bin/irb

I know how to install ruby19 from the ports system.
However, I was so stupid trying to download the source code and
installed it by my way...
Thank you very much! I will never do these silly things again!

To Dan,

Thanks for your guidance!
I will try it!
Thanks again!