Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Standalone Ruby executable with GUI

Standalone Ruby executable with GUI

Ralph Shnelvar

I have been using Ruby in a Rails environment.

Now I would like to create a (fairly simple) standalone application and I would love to hear suggestions as to the best environment and tools for my problem. Cross platform would be nice but Windows is a must. Development on Windows is a must.

The core problem is fairly simple: Have the user select a file or a directory. If the user selects a directory, spit out a list of all files and subdirectories in the selected directory.

Of course there is more to it ... but that's the core problem.

My Google search shows that there are several solutions to creating a standalone executable.

Exerb, RubyScript2Exe, and AllInOneRuby are the ones that seem to come up the most.

Then there is the added complication of slapping a GUI onto Ruby.

Suggestions as to a simple/powerful GUI that could be used in a standalone environment would, of course, be appreciated by me and, I presume, others in the same boat.

Ralph Shnelvar

skim

Hi Ralph,

You might want to look here for choosing a GUI framework:
http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_talk...-comparison/15

skim

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 09:14, Ralph Shnelvar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been using Ruby in a Rails environment.
>
> Now I would like to create a (fairly simple) standalone application and I
> would love to hear suggestions as to the best environment and tools for my
> problem. Cross platform would be nice but Windows is a must. Development on
> Windows is a must.
>

> The core problem is fairly simple: Have the user select a file or a
> directory. If the user selects a directory, spit out a list of all files
> and subdirectories in the selected directory.
>
> Of course there is more to it ... but that's the core problem.
>

> My Google search shows that there are several solutions to creating a
> standalone executable.
>
> Exerb, RubyScript2Exe, and AllInOneRuby are the ones that seem to come up
> the most.
>

> Then there is the added complication of slapping a GUI onto Ruby.
>
> Suggestions as to a simple/powerful GUI that could be used in a standalone
> environment would, of course, be appreciated by me and, I presume, others in
> the same boat.
>
> Ralph Shnelvar

David Mullet

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:
> I have been using Ruby in a Rails environment.
>
> Now I would like to create a (fairly simple) standalone application and
> I would love to hear suggestions as to the best environment and tools
> for my problem. Cross platform would be nice but Windows is a must.
> Development on Windows is a must.
>

> The core problem is fairly simple: Have the user select a file or a
> directory. If the user selects a directory, spit out a list of all
> files and subdirectories in the selected directory.
>
> Of course there is more to it ... but that's the core problem.
>

> My Google search shows that there are several solutions to creating a
> standalone executable.
>
> Exerb, RubyScript2Exe, and AllInOneRuby are the ones that seem to come
> up the most.
>

> Then there is the added complication of slapping a GUI onto Ruby.
>
> Suggestions as to a simple/powerful GUI that could be used in a
> standalone environment would, of course, be appreciated by me and, I
> presume, others in the same boat.
>
> Ralph Shnelvar

On Windows, I've had good results using wxRuby as the GUI. I used to use
RubyScript2Exe to create the standalone executables but have more
recently been using Ocra.

http://github.com/larsch/ocra/

David

http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com

Michael Brooks

>"David Mullet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Windows, I've had good results using wxRuby as the GUI. I used to use
> RubyScript2Exe to create the standalone executables but have more
> recently been using Ocra.
> http://github.com/larsch/ocra/

Hello Ralph and David:

I've had good success with wxRuby too.

FYI, here's a little quickstart page for Ocra that someone mentioned in a
http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/20...n-builder.html

Michael

Roger Pack

> Now I would like to create a (fairly simple) standalone application and
> I would love to hear suggestions as to the best environment and tools
> for my problem. Cross platform would be nice but Windows is a must.
> Development on Windows is a must.

Recommend Jruby (some GUI framework or other) + rawr for packaging.
Though it appears that there are several viable options.
http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_tuto...aq#ruby_to_exe

-r