Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Write/Read File having Japanese characters as file name

Write/Read File having Japanese characters as file name

Sudheendra Panganamala

Hi

My requirement is to create new files by names from database(UTF8
encoded for multi language support).

Mostly Japanese langauge support. I need to create file for each project
with project name. Sometimes the project name will be in Japanese.

In such case i could not generate file name with "事由別バグレポート.txt".

I am getting always garbage characters as file name ex:
事由別バグレポムトtest.txt

Awaiting for your help. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sudheendra

Luis Lavena

On Jul 8, 8:25*am, Sudheendra Panganamala <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> My requirement is to create new files by names from database(UTF8
> encoded for multi language support).
>
> Mostly Japanese langauge support. I need to create file for each project
> with project name. Sometimes the project name will be in Japanese.
>
> In such case i could not generate file name with "事由別バグレポート.txt".
>
> I am getting always garbage characters as file name ex:
> 事由別ムグレムートtest.txt
>
> Awaiting for your help. Thanks in advance.

How are you retrieving the values from the database? Are sure is
UTF-8?

If you're under Windows, the only version capable of doing it is
1.9.2, which -rc1 has been _broken_ in relation to gems so is advised
to avoid it.

You can try with 1.9.2-preview3

--
Luis Lavena