Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > 1.7b spellchecker improved!

1.7b spellchecker improved!

Tono

I asked that they fix spell checker finding a word like "monday", (which
should be capitalized), and coming up with no suggested spellings. Now
it does come up with the word capitalized. Same for a lot of proper names.

Just felt like sharing on some progress I saw,
Tono

.BRIAN.

On 4/5/2004 12:22 PM Tono wrote:
> I asked that they fix spell checker finding a word like "monday", (which
> should be capitalized), and coming up with no suggested spellings. Now
> it does come up with the word capitalized. Same for a lot of proper names.

Did they add Mozilla, Thunderbird, Firebird, or Firefox by any chance?

--
Brian

Tono

..BRIAN. wrote:

> On 4/5/2004 12:22 PM Tono wrote:
>
>> I asked that they fix spell checker finding a word like "monday",
>> (which should be capitalized), and coming up with no suggested
>> spellings. Now it does come up with the word capitalized. Same for a
>> lot of proper names.
>>

> Did they add Mozilla, Thunderbird, Firebird, or Firefox by any chance?

No, not yet. Maybe they never heard of those names? I'm not
complaining though, Mozilla didn't cost me much anyway.

Tono

Moz Champion

Tono wrote:

> .BRIAN. wrote:
>
>> On 4/5/2004 12:22 PM Tono wrote:
>>
>>> I asked that they fix spell checker finding a word like "monday",
>>> (which should be capitalized), and coming up with no suggested
>>> spellings. Now it does come up with the word capitalized. Same for
>>> a lot of proper names.
>>>

>> Did they add Mozilla, Thunderbird, Firebird, or Firefox by any
>> chance?

> No, not yet. Maybe they never heard of those names? I'm not
> complaining though, Mozilla didn't cost me much anyway.
>
> Tono

You can add the word yourself. Simply click on Add Word.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

.BRIAN.

On 4/5/2004 5:36 PM Moz Champion wrote:
> Tono wrote:
>
>> .BRIAN. wrote:
>>
>>> Did they add Mozilla, Thunderbird, Firebird, or Firefox by any
>>> chance?

>> No, not yet. Maybe they never heard of those names? I'm not
>> complaining though, Mozilla didn't cost me much anyway.

> You can add the word yourself. Simply click on Add Word.

I know, and I have But I've always found it rather humorous that
the Mozilla dictionary doesn't contain the word 'Mozilla'.

--
Brian

Moz Champion

..BRIAN. wrote:

> On 4/5/2004 5:36 PM Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Tono wrote:

>>> No, not yet. Maybe they never heard of those names? I'm not
>>> complaining though, Mozilla didn't cost me much anyway.

>> You can add the word yourself. Simply click on Add Word.
>>

> I know, and I have But I've always found it rather humorous that
> the Mozilla dictionary doesn't contain the word 'Mozilla'.

The Mozilla dictionary isnt written by Mozilla, it was adapted from a dictionary available from open sources.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

.BRIAN.

On 4/5/2004 6:53 PM Moz Champion wrote:

> The Mozilla dictionary isnt written by Mozilla, it was adapted from a
> dictionary available from open sources.

OK. You mean to tell me that you don't find it funny at all?

--
Brian

Moz Champion

..BRIAN. wrote:

> On 4/5/2004 6:53 PM Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> The Mozilla dictionary isnt written by Mozilla, it was adapted from a
>> dictionary available from open sources.

> OK. You mean to tell me that you don't find it funny at all?

Um, no. Should I? <g>

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Tono

Moz Champion wrote:

> Tono wrote:
>
>> .BRIAN. wrote:

>>> Did they add Mozilla, Thunderbird, Firebird, or Firefox by any
>>> chance?

>> No, not yet. Maybe they never heard of those names? I'm not
>> complaining though, Mozilla didn't cost me much anyway.
>>
>> Tono

> You can add the word yourself. Simply click on Add Word.

Yes, I know. Actually it wasn't long ago when that feature didn't work
for me either. I forget what version it was, but I could add a word to
the dictionary 20 times and it would still peg it as a misspelling.

And like Brian wrote, it's just plain funny that those particular words
were missed! And it used to try to fix spelling mistakes of the
people you quoted, that is fixed also. Now if I can get them to skip
spellchecking the very top line in a quoted text, the name before the "
wrote:" like here "Moz" came up, but I didn't write that!

Tono

Leonidas Jones

Tono wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Tono wrote:

>>> No, not yet. Maybe they never heard of those names? I'm not
>>> complaining though, Mozilla didn't cost me much anyway.
>>>
>>> Tono

>> You can add the word yourself. Simply click on Add Word.

> Yes, I know. Actually it wasn't long ago when that feature didn't work
> for me either. I forget what version it was, but I could add a word to
> the dictionary 20 times and it would still peg it as a misspelling.
>
> And like Brian wrote, it's just plain funny that those particular words
> were missed! And it used to try to fix spelling mistakes of the
> people you quoted, that is fixed also. Now if I can get them to skip
> spellchecking the very top line in a quoted text, the name before the "
> wrote:" like here "Moz" came up, but I didn't write that!
>
> Tono

Well it may be funny, and it kind of is, but Moz used the dictionary
from OpenOffice.org for their spellchecker, rather then build a new one
from scratch. Its an example of open source sharing.

Just add in amy words you need to your custom dictionary.

Lee
--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org

Thunderbird Spellchecker wps Firefox 1 11-26-2004 02:44 AM
Spellchecker cc Firefox 8 01-29-2004 08:21 PM
Another spellchecker question Tono Firefox 2 08-24-2003 04:14 AM
Re: Outlook Express SpellChecker and Spybot °Mike° Computer Support 0 08-03-2003 05:30 PM
Re: Outlook Express SpellChecker and Spybot § GateKeeper § Computer Support 0 08-03-2003 04:33 PM

Advertisments