Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > heads-up for arch linux users: rvm installer workaround

heads-up for arch linux users: rvm installer workaround

Martin DeMello

Anyone on arch linux planning on using rvm, note that the installer
script is broken. The basic problem is that arch linux by default
installs hd2u to provide dos2unix, and this does the wrong thing when
run on a unix file (hd2u's default behaviour is to flip unix->dos or
dos->unix, rather than to leave unix as unix). The workaround:

$ wget http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/releases/rvm-install-head

and edit the file to remove the dos2unix invocation

Still trying to work out who I should file a bug with; everyone is
individually doing the right thing. My personal preference would be
for hd2u to install both dos2unix and unix2dos wrappers, and for it's
behaviour to change depending on whether it is invoked as dos2unix or
unix2dos; as it is, adding a flag to the dos2unix invocation in
rvm-install-head will likely break it on platforms that install a
proper dos2unix/unix2dos pair. Anyway, if anyone on arch is facing an
installer that quits with mysterious bash errors, this is the
workaround.

martin

Intransition

On May 27, 12:02=A0pm, Martin DeMello <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anyone on arch linux planning on using rvm, note that the installer
> script is broken. The basic problem is that arch linux by default
> installs hd2u to provide dos2unix, and this does the wrong thing when
> run on a unix file (hd2u's default behaviour is to flip unix->dos or
> dos->unix, rather than to leave unix as unix). The workaround:
>
> $ wgethttp://rvm.beginrescueend.com/releases/rvm-install-head
>
> and edit the file to remove the dos2unix invocation
>
> Still trying to work out who I should file a bug with; everyone is
> individually doing the right thing. My personal preference would be
> for hd2u to install both dos2unix and unix2dos wrappers, and for it's
> behaviour to change depending on whether it is invoked as dos2unix or
> unix2dos; as it is, adding a flag to the dos2unix invocation in
> rvm-install-head will likely break it on platforms that install a
> proper dos2unix/unix2dos pair. Anyway, if anyone on arch is facing an
> installer that quits with mysterious bash errors, this is the
> workaround.

Personally I don't understand why rvm uses so much bash scripting.
Can't most, if not all of it, be done in Ruby? I'm pretty sure it can.

James Edward Gray II

On May 27, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Intransition wrote:

> On May 27, 12:02 pm, Martin DeMello <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Anyone on arch linux planning on using rvm, note that the installer
>> script is broken. The basic problem is that arch linux by default
>> installs hd2u to provide dos2unix, and this does the wrong thing when
>> run on a unix file (hd2u's default behaviour is to flip unix->dos or
>> dos->unix, rather than to leave unix as unix). The workaround:
>>=20
>> $ wgethttp://rvm.beginrescueend.com/releases/rvm-install-head
>>=20
>> and edit the file to remove the dos2unix invocation
>>=20
>> Still trying to work out who I should file a bug with; everyone is
>> individually doing the right thing. My personal preference would be
>> for hd2u to install both dos2unix and unix2dos wrappers, and for it's
>> behaviour to change depending on whether it is invoked as dos2unix or
>> unix2dos; as it is, adding a flag to the dos2unix invocation in
>> rvm-install-head will likely break it on platforms that install a
>> proper dos2unix/unix2dos pair. Anyway, if anyone on arch is facing an
>> installer that quits with mysterious bash errors, this is the
>> workaround.

>=20
> Personally I don't understand why rvm uses so much bash scripting.
> Can't most, if not all of it, be done in Ruby? I'm pretty sure it can.

Because you don't want to have to have Ruby installed to install Ruby. =
Also, what RVM does is shell work and it's no surprise that shell =
languages, like Bash, are superior for that.

James Edward Gray II=