Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Windows 7 - 64-bit and MySql - what are my options?

Windows 7 - 64-bit and MySql - what are my options?

Alpha Blue

I upgraded from 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. Here is my environment:

Windows 7 - 64-bit
ruby 1.9.1p243 (i386-mingw32)

.. which was probably built on 32 bit.

I'm using the 64-bit version of mysql. What do I need to do to get this
running?

Before I get inundated with too much information, select the following
answer:

1. Reinstall Ruby 1.9.1 using a 64-bit mingw installer package (if such
a monster exists).
2. Install a 64-bit mysql gem (what is the command, the source, etc.)
3. Install a 32-bit version of mysql.
4. Other (I'll give you my answer)

Select an answer and provide some feedback where possible.

Many thanks in advance!

Luis Lavena

On Apr 19, 7:21*pm, Alpha Blue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I upgraded from 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. *Here is my environment:
>
> Windows 7 - 64-bit
> ruby 1.9.1p243 (i386-mingw32)
>
> . which was probably built on 32 bit.
>
> I'm using the 64-bit version of mysql. *What do I need to do to get this
> running?

This might help:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/04/19/...windows-seven/

> Before I get inundated with too much information, select the following
> answer:
>
> 1. *Reinstall Ruby 1.9.1 using a 64-bit mingw installer package (if such
> a monster exists).

Not available yet.

> 2. *Install a 64-bit mysql gem (what is the command, the source, etc.)

Since Ruby is 32-bits, there is no 64-bits version of the gem.

> 3. *Install a 32-bit version of mysql.

You can still use a 32-bits mysql DLL to connect to 64-bits MySQL.

Just download the simplest 32-bits package for the exact same version
of the compiled gem, and you can connect to any type of MySQL version.

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena

Walton Hoops

On 4/19/2010 4:21 PM, Alpha Blue wrote:
> I upgraded from 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. Here is my environment:
>
> Windows 7 - 64-bit
> ruby 1.9.1p243 (i386-mingw32)
>
> .. which was probably built on 32 bit.
>
> I'm using the 64-bit version of mysql. What do I need to do to get this
> running?
>
> Before I get inundated with too much information, select the following
> answer:
>
> 1. Reinstall Ruby 1.9.1 using a 64-bit mingw installer package (if such
> a monster exists).
> 2. Install a 64-bit mysql gem (what is the command, the source, etc.)
> 3. Install a 32-bit version of mysql.
> 4. Other (I'll give you my answer)
>
> Select an answer and provide some feedback where possible.
>
> Many thanks in advance!

4 First make sure you installed rubyinstaller via
http://rubyinstaller.org/,
then install the DevKit (select addons from that very page). Then just
run 'gem install mysql'. voila!