Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Who maintains ruby-talk?

Reply
Thread Tools

Who maintains ruby-talk?

 
 
Tony Arcieri
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

Among other things, the ruby-talk MLM is rampant with security
vulnerabilities, and in need of moderation.

Is there actually a person in charge of ruby-talk?

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian Candler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
Tony Arcieri wrote:
> Among other things, the ruby-talk MLM is rampant with security
> vulnerabilities, and in need of moderation.
>
> Is there actually a person in charge of ruby-talk?


There are admin contact addresses here:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/communit...-instructions/

(While you're at it, you could ask for the broken link at the bottom of
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/mailing-lists/
which is supposed to point to "the manual way" to be fixed)
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Klemme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
2010/4/14 Tony Arcieri <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Among other things, the ruby-talk MLM is rampant with security
> vulnerabilities, and in need of moderation.


Did you just suggest that ruby-talk should become a moderated list?

Kind regards

robert


--
remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without end
http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Jackson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
Just last week I was having problems managing my subscription via the
list controller. When I tried the "manual way"
(http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/communit...-instructions/)
I couldn't get the bot to respond either. As a last resort I emailed
the human administrator address ((E-Mail Removed)) and
got a response from Matz himself.

Perhaps that's the problem. The list is being maintained by a person
who most assuredly doesn't have time for it because he has much more
important things to do!

Michael

--
Michael Jackson
http://mjijackson.com/
@mjijackson



On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Tony Arcieri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Among other things, the ruby-talk MLM is rampant with security
> vulnerabilities, and in need of moderation.
>
> Is there actually a person in charge of ruby-talk?
>
> --
> Tony Arcieri
> Medioh! A Kudelski Brand
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich McGrath
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

Maybe this mailing list might be better suited in a forum.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Michael Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> Just last week I was having problems managing my subscription via the
> list controller. When I tried the "manual way"
> (http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/communit...-instructions/)
> I couldn't get the bot to respond either. As a last resort I emailed
> the human administrator address ((E-Mail Removed)) and
> got a response from Matz himself.
>
> Perhaps that's the problem. The list is being maintained by a person
> who most assuredly doesn't have time for it because he has much more
> important things to do!
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Jackson
> http://mjijackson.com/
> @mjijackson
>
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Tony Arcieri <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > Among other things, the ruby-talk MLM is rampant with security
> > vulnerabilities, and in need of moderation.
> >
> > Is there actually a person in charge of ruby-talk?
> >
> > --
> > Tony Arcieri
> > Medioh! A Kudelski Brand
> >

>
>



--
Rich McGrath
Tech Lead for Bitmob.com
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
www.Bitmob.com
www.twitter.com/Bitmobrich

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Klemme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
2010/4/14 Rich McGrath <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Maybe this mailing list might be better suited in a forum.


Well, a mailing list is a forum as well.

Also, please note this:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/207947#905025



Cheers

robert

--
remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without end
http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Arcieri
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Robert Klemme
<(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> Did you just suggest that ruby-talk should become a moderated list?
>


Yes, given the recent high volume of off-topic posts, I think it's clear the
list is in need of a moderator, at the very least someone who can warn/ban
users who make high volumes of off-topic posts.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

 
Reply With Quote
 
Josh Cheek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Tony Arcieri <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Robert Klemme
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
> > Did you just suggest that ruby-talk should become a moderated list?
> >

>
> Yes, given the recent high volume of off-topic posts, I think it's clear
> the
> list is in need of a moderator, at the very least someone who can warn/ban
> users who make high volumes of off-topic posts.
>
> --
> Tony Arcieri
> Medioh! A Kudelski Brand
>


You know, the Nazis had moderators, but they made the Jews wear them.

Sorry, Office Space ^_^

Unless things got completely unusable, I'd much prefer if there wasn't
someone with the power to kick people off the list whenever the whim struck
them. Between spam filters and community policing, I think this list is
fine.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Aldric Giacomoni
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
Tony Arcieri wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Robert Klemme
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>> Did you just suggest that ruby-talk should become a moderated list?
>>

>
> Yes, given the recent high volume of off-topic posts, I think it's clear
> the
> list is in need of a moderator, at the very least someone who can
> warn/ban
> users who make high volumes of off-topic posts.


Tony,
I need to disagree with you here. This idea makes the hair on my neck
stand on end.
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dylan Northrup
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2010
A long time ago, (15.04.10), in a galaxy far, far away, Josh Cheek wrote:

:=Unless things got completely unusable, I'd much prefer if there wasn't
:=someone with the power to kick people off the list whenever the whim struck
:=them. Between spam filters and community policing, I think this list is
:=fine.

It's gotten to an unusable space for me. I regularly delete all messages
after scanning the subjects without reading them. Up until approximately a
month ago I would actually read the majority of the posts to see what is
posted as well as learn from example code posted by others. But given the
recent spate of off-topic garbage the list has pretty much become unusable.

I'm hopeful that something will change and the spammers/off-topic posts will
go elsewhere, but would very much appreciate being able to have someone step
in to stop the madness.

--
Dylan Northrup - (E-Mail Removed) - http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Adversity is just change that we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."
- Aimee Mullins

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Server side control that maintains viewstate for client-side javascript variables? Keithb ASP .Net 1 02-26-2007 06:19 PM
Who makes and maintains ATLAS? needin4mation@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 03-24-2006 02:17 PM
MSN messenger 7 maintains a background process... C.J.Patten Computer Information 17 05-02-2005 05:09 PM
MSN messenger 7 maintains a background process... C.J.Patten Computer Support 17 05-02-2005 05:09 PM
dropdown list maintains selection when back button is used. Mark ASP .Net 6 09-28-2004 10:06 PM



Advertisments