Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > remarks in Intellisense

remarks in Intellisense

MattB

Hi all, not exactly a asp.net question, but I'm sure you people know this
one. I'm just not sure what to look for in help, because it's sure to be in
there too.

I'm creating a reusable class library and I want to be able to add usage
remarks that would show up in Intellisense when the library was being called
from elsewhere. How does one add these comments? I'm taking about the stuff
that pops in Intellisense that says stuff like "Gets or sets the X
property.".

Thanks!

Matt

Janaka

Matt

Try typing in /// on the line directly above your class, procedure,
property, etc. Visual Studio then fills in the rest you just need to add
some comments

"MattB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, not exactly a asp.net question, but I'm sure you people know this
> one. I'm just not sure what to look for in help, because it's sure to be
> in there too.
>
> I'm creating a reusable class library and I want to be able to add usage
> remarks that would show up in Intellisense when the library was being
> called from elsewhere. How does one add these comments? I'm taking about
> the stuff that pops in Intellisense that says stuff like "Gets or sets the
> X property.".
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt

Greg Burns

That is not the same thing. (that is just the C# XML auto document feature)

This question has been asked before, and I not sure it is simple to do (if
at all). (Does it involve attributes?)

Greg

"Janaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matt
>
> Try typing in /// on the line directly above your class, procedure,
> property, etc. Visual Studio then fills in the rest you just need to add
> some comments
>
> "MattB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all, not exactly a asp.net question, but I'm sure you people know this
>> one. I'm just not sure what to look for in help, because it's sure to be
>> in there too.
>>
>> I'm creating a reusable class library and I want to be able to add usage
>> remarks that would show up in Intellisense when the library was being
>> called from elsewhere. How does one add these comments? I'm taking about
>> the stuff that pops in Intellisense that says stuff like "Gets or sets
>> the X property.".
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Matt

Greg Burns

Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize that C# /// did the intellisense thing too.

There are some hacks to make this work with VB.

Take a look at this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/5dgao

Greg

"Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is not the same thing. (that is just the C# XML auto document
> feature)
>
> This question has been asked before, and I not sure it is simple to do (if
> at all). (Does it involve attributes?)
>
> Greg
>
> "Janaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Matt
>>
>> Try typing in /// on the line directly above your class, procedure,
>> property, etc. Visual Studio then fills in the rest you just need to
>> add some comments
>>
>> "MattB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all, not exactly a asp.net question, but I'm sure you people know
>>> this one. I'm just not sure what to look for in help, because it's sure
>>> to be in there too.
>>>
>>> I'm creating a reusable class library and I want to be able to add usage
>>> remarks that would show up in Intellisense when the library was being
>>> called from elsewhere. How does one add these comments? I'm taking about
>>> the stuff that pops in Intellisense that says stuff like "Gets or sets
>>> the X property.".
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Matt

Scott M.

I believe these are just hacks to give VB the same commenting ability as C#.
I don't believe there is currently a way to do this in VB.

"Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize that C# /// did the intellisense thing
> too.
>
> There are some hacks to make this work with VB.
>
> Take a look at this thread:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5dgao
>
> Greg
>
> "Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That is not the same thing. (that is just the C# XML auto document
>> feature)
>>
>> This question has been asked before, and I not sure it is simple to do
>> (if at all). (Does it involve attributes?)
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> "Janaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Matt
>>>
>>> Try typing in /// on the line directly above your class, procedure,
>>> property, etc. Visual Studio then fills in the rest you just need to
>>> add some comments
>>>
>>> "MattB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

MattB

No wonder it was hard to find. Thanks for the tips. This seems like a big
oversight in vb. I would have expected it to be in there without having to
resport to using a hack (appears others have had the same thought). Does
anyone know if it's in the next version of vb?

Anyway, THANKS for the info!

Matt

Scott M. wrote:
> I believe these are just hacks to give VB the same commenting ability
> as C#. I don't believe there is currently a way to do this in VB.
>

> "Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize that C# /// did the intellisense
>> thing too.
>>
>> There are some hacks to make this work with VB.
>>
>> Take a look at this thread:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5dgao
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> "Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> That is not the same thing. (that is just the C# XML auto document
>>> feature)
>>>
>>> This question has been asked before, and I not sure it is simple to
>>> do (if at all). (Does it involve attributes?)
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>
>>> "Janaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Greg Burns

VB XML comments will be added to VB 2005. The intellisense feature? I
would assume so.

Greg