Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Escaping a period (.)

Escaping a period (.)

John Mcleod

Hello all,
I'm in my 4 month of Ruby on Rails and had a question about escaping
special characters.
How do I escape a period(.)?

ie (John F. oobar)

I wish to change the period to an ASCII representation.

Thank you for any help.

JohnM

Marnen Laibow-Koser

John Mcleod wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm in my 4 month of Ruby on Rails and had a question about escaping
> special characters.
> How do I escape a period(.)?
>
> ie (John F. oobar)
>
> I wish to change the period to an ASCII representation.

The period is an ASCII character. It has no special meaning outside of
regexps, and needs no escaping except in that context.

> Thank you for any help.
>
> JohnM

Best,
--*