Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > mysql gem: better native extension error than this?

mysql gem: better native extension error than this?

Tony Arcieri

uninitialized constant MysqlCompat::MysqlRes

...surely the error can be better than this. The meaning of this error is
"the native extension failed to load", however the error does not convey
this whatsoever. Can't this be:

NativeExtensionError: couldn't load libmysqlclient.so

Or something slightly more informative?

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

Luis Lavena

On Feb 4, 1:38*am, Tony Arcieri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Note: *parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> uninitialized constant MysqlCompat::MysqlRes
>
> ..surely the error can be better than this. *The meaning of this error is
> "the native extension failed to load", however the error does not convey
> this whatsoever. *Can't this be:
>
> NativeExtensionError: couldn't load libmysqlclient.so
>
> Or something slightly more informative?

When are you getting this?

A sample script that can reproduce it? Or is a Rails application?

Definitely things could be better, also world peace can be achieved if
humans weren't so greedy and help each other instead.

The repository used to build the gem is here:

http://github.com/luislavena/mysql-gem

Feel free to fork it, adjust what is needed and ensure tests works
prior sending a pull request.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena

Tony Arcieri

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Luis Lavena <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When are you getting this?

Installing the mysql gem, under Snow Leopard unless ARCHFLAGS=-arch x86_64
is set.

The repository used to build the gem is here:

> http://github.com/luislavena/mysql-gem
>
> Feel free to fork it, adjust what is needed and ensure tests works
> prior sending a pull request.

Ok

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

Luis Lavena

On Feb 4, 6:07*pm, Tony Arcieri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Note: *parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Luis Lavena <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > When are you getting this?

> Installing the mysql gem, under Snow Leopard unless ARCHFLAGS=-arch x86_64
> is set.

The offending code is here:

http://github.com/luislavena/mysql-g...xtconf.rb#L1-8

Since I haven't upgraded my Leopard installation to Slow Leopard, I
cannot test all these details.

I've that *cough* feature *cough* from DataObjects, which got removed
after SL release.

Since I don't have a spare Mac for work, couldn't afford the time will
take to rebuild my whole environment due the craziness of mixed 64/32
bits applications and libraries.

If you take a look to current DataObjects, maybe you can bring these
changes in:

http://github.com/datamapper/do/blob...sql/extconf.rb

--
Luis Lavena