Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Where are my ruby gems located? Why don't executables such as specwork?

Where are my ruby gems located? Why don't executables such as specwork?

Kristian Mandrup

I'm on Mac OSX Snow Leopard, running Ruby 1.9.1

I have recently substituted homebre packagemanager for port.
I reinstalled most of my ruby gems using $ sudo gem install [gem list]

Now I can list my gems:

$ gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

abstract (1.0.0)
actionmailer (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
actionpack (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
activemodel (3.0.pre)
activerecord (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
activeresource (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)

But I can't seem to find where on the system they are located

And executables such as spec don't work, even though I can see that
the gem (fx rspec) is installed

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Pierre Lecocq

Kristian Mandrup wrote:
> I'm on Mac OSX Snow Leopard, running Ruby 1.9.1
>
> I have recently substituted homebre packagemanager for port.
> I reinstalled most of my ruby gems using $ sudo gem install [gem list]
>
> Now I can list my gems:
>
> $ gem list
>
> *** LOCAL GEMS ***
>
> abstract (1.0.0)
> actionmailer (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
> actionpack (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
> activemodel (3.0.pre)
> activerecord (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
> activeresource (3.0.pre, 2.3.5)
>
> But I can't seem to find where on the system they are located

here is a shell command to find 'em:

sudo find / -name "gems"

But they must be located in:

MacOsX: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
Unix: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/

Kind regards,
Pierre

> And executables such as spec don't work, even though I can see that
> the gem (fx rspec) is installed
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

botp

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Kristian Mandrup <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> But I can't seem to find where on the system they are located

what is "gem which"
what is "gem help commands"

best regards -botp

Hassan Schroeder

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Kristian Mandrup <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Now I can list my gems:
>
> $ gem list

> But I can't seem to find where on the system they are located

try `gem env`

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
twitter: @hassan

Alpha Blue

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> try `gem env`

This is the correct way of finding your gems.

Putting executables in sbin in gems Luke Kanies Ruby 2 05-28-2007 09:34 PM
Gems -- #include <gems.hpp> Tomás C++ 7 03-05-2006 02:48 PM
'private' gems/gems hierarchy Dany Cayouette Ruby 3 11-25-2005 10:55 PM
Confusion about gems and non-gems working together. Lloyd Zusman Ruby 3 06-20-2005 11:23 PM

Advertisments