Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] java-inline 0.0.3, with Duby support

[ANN] java-inline 0.0.3, with Duby support

Charles Oliver Nutter

Just released java-inline 0.0.3, which now supports Duby as well.
Install the duby gem separately.

Here's an example from the project: http://gist.github.com/279641

Have fun!

- Charlie

Roger Pack

Charles Nutter wrote:
> Just released java-inline 0.0.3, which now supports Duby as well.
> Install the duby gem separately.
>
> Here's an example from the project: http://gist.github.com/279641

I wonder if java-inline could be used from within a C interpreter, as
well...that might be useful for popularizing duby.

link to the main page for the gem?

Also is the duby example 'exactly as fast' as a straight java inline
example would be?
-r

Charles Oliver Nutter

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Roger Pack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I wonder if java-inline could be used from within a C interpreter, as
> well...that might be useful for popularizing duby.

It's probably possible using something like RJB. I've never used RJB
for anything though.

> link to the main page for the gem?

http://www.kenai.com/projects/java-inline. There's not much there, and
the source is located on github.com/jruby/java-inline.

> Also is the duby example 'exactly as fast' as a straight java inline
> example would be?

Yes. Exactly as fast.

- Charlie

Roger Pack

>> I wonder if java-inline could be used from within a C interpreter, as
>> well...that might be useful for popularizing duby.

> It's probably possible using something like RJB. I've never used RJB
> for anything though.

My first feature request would be to allow it to work in other
interpreters -- I can probably speak for others by saying that I would
definitely prefer using java inline to c inline.

-r

Charles Oliver Nutter

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Roger Pack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> It's probably possible using something like RJB. I've never used RJB
>> for anything though.

> My first feature request would be to allow it to work in other
> interpreters -- I can probably speak for others by saying that I would
> definitely prefer using java inline to c inline.

Patches enthusiastically accepted I have never used RJB, but
java_inline's logic is pretty trivial. All you'd need to do is compile
the generated source, get RJB to load the class, and bind that class
however you normally do with RJB. In JRuby it's almost no code at all;
in RJB, it probably wouldn't be a whole lot more.

- Charlie