Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > I need help with architecture design,please.

I need help with architecture design,please.

Julia

I need help with architecture design,please:

I have a server which constantly downloading messages from the internet
and store them inside a data base.

the server have two administrators options:
one is a local windows application,and the second is a web application
The administrator can either delete messages,add new messages,and send
messages

i am new to .NET remoting,so here is my idea in general:

1.Create singleton MessagesServer remotable object which act as my server
and hosted by an exe application
2.For Windows admin application, just connect to the singleton object and
admin it
3.For the web admin application,using ASP,NET pages,connect to the
MessagesServer and admin it
(I cannot install .NET components on this machine so i must use server
side code?)

My questions are:

1.Can I create in .NET something similar to COM out proc server (activex
exe),which mean that when the admin application
will create the MessagesServer,than the exe which hosting MessagesServer
will start?

2.Assuming the window admin application is local to the MessagesServer,can
i just pack the MessagesServer object
into the window admin executbale,so it will be local to the window
application.,but remote for the web application?

3.When using Web application,what is the best way to access the data
base,should I do it
using the MessagesServer,for example MessagesServer.GetMessages() as
ArrayList
or can I go directly to the data base(I guess I will have some
synchronization issues here!?)

4.Regarding locks,assuming i have one thread in the MessagesServer object
which access the data base,and than a request from the
Web application is arrived to write to the data base,can i control the
time
in which the request will return to the web application?

5.Can you point me to some articels or examples which describe a similar
problem?

The overall architecture is something similar to Exchange server/OWA i
guess.

Thanks.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Are you that desperate that you need to post this message to this many
newsgroups?

Have a look at webservices, this ideally what you need to implement. I would
recommend it over a remoting interface since you have no control over the
web app client which makes remoting less ideal for your situation.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
"Julia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ehVZ$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I need help with architecture design,please:
>
> I have a server which constantly downloading messages from the internet
> and store them inside a data base.
>
> the server have two administrators options:
> one is a local windows application,and the second is a web application
> The administrator can either delete messages,add new messages,and send
> messages
>
> i am new to .NET remoting,so here is my idea in general:
>

> 1.Create singleton MessagesServer remotable object which act as my
> server
> and hosted by an exe application
> 2.For Windows admin application, just connect to the singleton object and
> admin it
> 3.For the web admin application,using ASP,NET pages,connect to the
> MessagesServer and admin it
> (I cannot install .NET components on this machine so i must use server
> side code?)
>

> My questions are:
>

> 1.Can I create in .NET something similar to COM out proc server (activex
> exe),which mean that when the admin application
> will create the MessagesServer,than the exe which hosting MessagesServer
> will start?
>
> 2.Assuming the window admin application is local to the
> MessagesServer,can
> i just pack the MessagesServer object
> into the window admin executbale,so it will be local to the window
> application.,but remote for the web application?
>
> 3.When using Web application,what is the best way to access the data
> base,should I do it
> using the MessagesServer,for example MessagesServer.GetMessages() as
> ArrayList
> or can I go directly to the data base(I guess I will have some
> synchronization issues here!?)
>
> 4.Regarding locks,assuming i have one thread in the MessagesServer object
> which access the data base,and than a request from the
> Web application is arrived to write to the data base,can i control the
> time
> in which the request will return to the web application?
>
> 5.Can you point me to some articels or examples which describe a similar
> problem?
>

> The overall architecture is something similar to Exchange server/OWA i
> guess.
>

> Thanks.

Julia

Why? can't i call remoting object from an ASP.NET page?
The WebApp client will access the object only though a server side code.

Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you that desperate that you need to post this message to this many
> newsgroups?
>
> Have a look at webservices, this ideally what you need to implement. I

would
> recommend it over a remoting interface since you have no control over the
> web app client which makes remoting less ideal for your situation.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney
> "Julia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ehVZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I need help with architecture design,please:
> >
> > I have a server which constantly downloading messages from the

internet
> > and store them inside a data base.
> >
> > the server have two administrators options:
> > one is a local windows application,and the second is a web application
> > The administrator can either delete messages,add new messages,and send
> > messages
> >
> > i am new to .NET remoting,so here is my idea in general:
> >

> > 1.Create singleton MessagesServer remotable object which act as my
> > server
> > and hosted by an exe application
> > 2.For Windows admin application, just connect to the singleton object

and
> > admin it
> > 3.For the web admin application,using ASP,NET pages,connect to the
> > MessagesServer and admin it
> > (I cannot install .NET components on this machine so i must use server
> > side code?)
> >

> > My questions are:
> >

> > 1.Can I create in .NET something similar to COM out proc server (activex
> > exe),which mean that when the admin application
> > will create the MessagesServer,than the exe which hosting

MessagesServer
> > will start?
> >
> > 2.Assuming the window admin application is local to the
> > MessagesServer,can
> > i just pack the MessagesServer object
> > into the window admin executbale,so it will be local to the window
> > application.,but remote for the web application?
> >
> > 3.When using Web application,what is the best way to access the data
> > base,should I do it
> > using the MessagesServer,for example MessagesServer.GetMessages() as
> > ArrayList
> > or can I go directly to the data base(I guess I will have some
> > synchronization issues here!?)
> >
> > 4.Regarding locks,assuming i have one thread in the MessagesServer

object
> > which access the data base,and than a request from the
> > Web application is arrived to write to the data base,can i control the
> > time
> > in which the request will return to the web application?
> >
> > 5.Can you point me to some articels or examples which describe a similar
> > problem?
> >

> > The overall architecture is something similar to Exchange server/OWA i
> > guess.
> >

> > Thanks.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

> Why? can't i call remoting object from an ASP.NET page?
sure you can. the remoting route is a viable alternative as well. I've
already listed the reason for my recommendations.