Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Wordpress Port

Wordpress Port

hjast

Has there any been an effort to make a ruby Wordpress port? I am a
rails and ruby guy, and now have to do a blog in Wordpress. PHP is an
ugly langauge and I wish I could use ruby for extending and looking at
the architecture. Since Wordpress is open source we could just
straight port a lot of the code from wordpress as it is. Someone could
even make a parser which makes php extensions or themes compatible.

I guess in general, this is a question about the lack of CMS's in
ruby. THe general comments usually are, why have a cms when we can
make it in rails so much fast? I agree with the point that Rails is
quite mature and robust to handle making any type of site very
quickly. There is one problem, this is contingent on knowing Ruby on
Rails. To help further Ruby's cause perhaps people should come to
together to port a few proper CMS's or at least add some sort of
compatibly.

Rick DeNatale

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM, hjast <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has there any been an effort to make a ruby Wordpress port? I am a
> rails and ruby guy, and now have to do a blog in Wordpress. PHP is an
> ugly langauge and I wish I could use ruby for extending and looking at
> the architecture. Since Wordpress is open source we could just
> straight port a lot of the code from wordpress as it is. Someone could
> even make a parser which makes php extensions or themes compatible.
>
> I guess in general, this is a question about the lack of CMS's in
> ruby. THe general comments usually are, why have a cms when we can
> make it in rails so much fast? I agree with the point that Rails is
> quite mature and robust to handle making any type of site very
> quickly. There is one problem, this is contingent on knowing Ruby on
> Rails. To help further Ruby's cause perhaps people should come to
> together to port a few proper CMS's or at least add some sort of
> compatibly.

Well there are some well-known Ruby CMSeseses.

Have you looked at Radiant CMS? http://radiantcms.org/
--
Rick DeNatale

WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/pers...-rick-denatale

Jason Roelofs

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Rick DeNatale <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM, hjast <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Has there any been an effort to make a ruby Wordpress port? I am a
> > rails and ruby guy, and now have to do a blog in Wordpress. PHP is an
> > ugly langauge and I wish I could use ruby for extending and looking at
> > the architecture. Since Wordpress is open source we could just
> > straight port a lot of the code from wordpress as it is. Someone could
> > even make a parser which makes php extensions or themes compatible.
> >
> > I guess in general, this is a question about the lack of CMS's in
> > ruby. THe general comments usually are, why have a cms when we can
> > make it in rails so much fast? I agree with the point that Rails is
> > quite mature and robust to handle making any type of site very
> > quickly. There is one problem, this is contingent on knowing Ruby on
> > Rails. To help further Ruby's cause perhaps people should come to
> > together to port a few proper CMS's or at least add some sort of
> > compatibly.

> Well there are some well-known Ruby CMSeseses.
>
> Have you looked at Radiant CMS? http://radiantcms.org/
> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> Blog: http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/RickDeNatale
> WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/pers...-rick-denatale
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rickdenatale

And if you're looking for a Rails-based blog platform, there's Mephisto:
http://mephistoblog.com/

Wordpress is enormous. Porting would be non-trivial.

Jason

Rob Biedenharn

On Dec 7, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Jason Roelofs wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Rick DeNatale <(E-Mail Removed)
> >wrote:

>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM, hjast <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Has there any been an effort to make a ruby Wordpress port? I am a
>>> rails and ruby guy, and now have to do a blog in Wordpress. PHP is
>>> an
>>> ugly langauge and I wish I could use ruby for extending and
>>> looking at
>>> the architecture. Since Wordpress is open source we could just
>>> straight port a lot of the code from wordpress as it is. Someone
>>> could
>>> even make a parser which makes php extensions or themes compatible.
>>>
>>> I guess in general, this is a question about the lack of CMS's in
>>> ruby. THe general comments usually are, why have a cms when we can
>>> make it in rails so much fast? I agree with the point that Rails is
>>> quite mature and robust to handle making any type of site very
>>> quickly. There is one problem, this is contingent on knowing Ruby on
>>> Rails. To help further Ruby's cause perhaps people should come to
>>> together to port a few proper CMS's or at least add some sort of
>>> compatibly.

>> Well there are some well-known Ruby CMSeseses.
>>
>> Have you looked at Radiant CMS? http://radiantcms.org/
>> --
>> Rick DeNatale
>>
>> Blog: http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/RickDeNatale
>> WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/pers...-rick-denatale
>> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rickdenatale
>>

> And if you're looking for a Rails-based blog platform, there's
> Mephisto:
> http://mephistoblog.com/
>
> Wordpress is enormous. Porting would be non-trivial.
>
> Jason

No, It sounds like hjast wants to check out phuby on phails. The video
from RubyConf2009 should be up soon -- the session you need to see is:

21-Nov-09 15:05
"Worst. Ideas. Ever."
Aaron Patterson and Ryan Davis

Really, if I tries to tell you much more about it, the effect would be
ruined.

For now, you'd have to settle for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWKjS6Vufw

-Rob

David Masover

On Monday 07 December 2009 11:00:08 am hjast wrote:
> Has there any been an effort to make a ruby Wordpress port? I am a
> rails and ruby guy, and now have to do a blog in Wordpress. PHP is an
> ugly langauge and I wish I could use ruby for extending and looking at
> the architecture.

If you're wanting a way to work with Wordpress, the PHP app -- for example,
writing a Wordpress plugin in Ruby -- I don't think there really is one,
though that's not entirely a bad idea. Just mostly a bad idea.

If you're looking for an actual port of Wordpress, and I think this is what
you want...

> Since Wordpress is open source we could just
> straight port a lot of the code from wordpress as it is.

Well, code written in one language doesn't always translate directly into
another language. I'm guessing the word press architecture isn't a good fit --
you could probably do something better starting from scratch in Ruby, which is
why someone pointed you to Mephisto.

> Someone could
> even make a parser which makes php extensions or themes compatible.

Well, probably not. You might be able to build a bridge (as the Phuby guy was
jokingly suggesting), but short of that, no you couldn't. Keep in mind that a
PHP extension or theme is still PHP code, not Ruby code. Translating one
language directly into another, even when it works, usually leads to fairly
ugly code.

> I guess in general, this is a question about the lack of CMS's in
> ruby. THe general comments usually are, why have a cms when we can
> make it in rails so much fast?

I don't agree with that, and I think a lot of the Merb people were thinking
about ways to improve that situation, especially by stealing ideas from
Django.

And I definitely think Wordpress is not a good choice for a CMS.
Drupal would be a much better choice.

Marnen Laibow-Koser

David Masover wrote:
> On Monday 07 December 2009 11:00:08 am hjast wrote:
>> Has there any been an effort to make a ruby Wordpress port? I am a
>> rails and ruby guy, and now have to do a blog in Wordpress. PHP is an
>> ugly langauge and I wish I could use ruby for extending and looking at
>> the architecture.

> If you're wanting a way to work with Wordpress, the PHP app -- for
> example,
> writing a Wordpress plugin in Ruby -- I don't think there really is one,
> though that's not entirely a bad idea. Just mostly a bad idea.

[...]

JRuby and Quercus, maybe?

Seriously, I'm not even sure it's that bad of an idea. Writing Java in
Ruby certainly works well; why shouldn't writing PHP in Ruby?

Of course, that's only if you're stuck with Wordpress to begin with. I
agree that something like Mephisto is probably a better choice.

Best,
--¬*
Marnen¬*Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
(E-Mail Removed)

pharrington

On Dec 7, 4:41*pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> David Masover wrote:
> > On Monday 07 December 2009 11:00:08 am hjast wrote:
> >> Has there any been an effort to make a ruby Wordpress port? I am a
> >> rails and ruby guy, and now have to do a blog in Wordpress. PHP is an
> >> ugly langauge and I wish I could use ruby for extending and looking at
> >> the architecture.

> > If you're wanting a way to work with Wordpress, the PHP app -- for
> > example,
> > writing a Wordpress plugin in Ruby -- I don't think there really is one,
> > though that's not entirely a bad idea. Just mostly a bad idea.

> [...]
>
> JRuby and Quercus, maybe?
>
> Seriously, I'm not even sure it's that bad of an idea. *Writing Java in
> Ruby certainly works well; why shouldn't writing PHP in Ruby?
>
> Of course, that's only if you're stuck with Wordpress to begin with. *I
> agree that something like Mephisto is probably a better choice.
>
> Best,
> --*
> Marnen*Laibow-Koserhttp://www.marnen.org
> (E-Mail Removed)

Well, JRuby is Ruby running under the JVM, which I wouldn't quite call
"writing Java in Ruby." The JVM has alot going for it: fantastic
performance, rich set of libraries, everything runs it, threads that
run in parallel, etc. I don't see any of those benefits for trying to
get Ruby interoperability with PHP.

David Masover

On Monday 07 December 2009 05:05:19 pm pharrington wrote:
> On Dec 7, 4:41 pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Seriously, I'm not even sure it's that bad of an idea. Writing Java in
> > Ruby certainly works well; why shouldn't writing PHP in Ruby?

> Well, JRuby is Ruby running under the JVM, which I wouldn't quite call
> "writing Java in Ruby."

In particular, there isn't any sort of PHP VM that we could meaningfully
target. We'd be compiling Ruby to PHP, at best. JRuby doesn't compile Ruby to
Java, it compiles Ruby to JVM bytecode.

The rest of this is true, also:

> The JVM has alot going for it: fantastic
> performance, rich set of libraries, everything runs it, threads that
> run in parallel, etc. I don't see any of those benefits for trying to
> get Ruby interoperability with PHP.

The "rich set of libraries" is the only benefit I can see for PHP, and I'm
very skeptical -- not just of quantity, but of quality.

Edward Middleton

hjast wrote:
> Has there any been an effort to make a ruby Wordpress port? ...
>
> I guess in general, this is a question about the lack of CMS's in
> ruby. THe general comments usually are, why have a cms when we can
> make it in rails so much fast? I agree with the point that Rails is
> quite mature and robust to handle making any type of site very
> quickly. There is one problem, this is contingent on knowing Ruby on
> Rails. To help further Ruby's cause perhaps people should come to
> together to port a few proper CMS's or at least add some sort of
> compatibly.

Have you looked at the typo blog[1], I am not really familiar with
wordpress so can't comment on how typo compares, but it does support
themes, plugins and internationalization. Customizing or extending typo
would probably be easier then trying to port wordpress to ruby.

Edward

1. http://wiki.github.com/fdv/typo/

Ryan Davis

On Dec 7, 2009, at 18:08 , Edward Middleton wrote:

> Have you looked at the typo blog[1], I am not really familiar with
> wordpress so can't comment on how typo compares, but it does support
> themes, plugins and internationalization. Customizing or extending typo
> would probably be easier then trying to port wordpress to ruby.

as long as you take care not to enter its event horizon, you'll be fine.

Wordpress management from Python: do you know main bindings/modulesto automate Wordpress blogging from .py software? Aldo Ceccarelli Python 0 03-19-2009 03:36 PM
wordpress review Carolyn Marenger HTML 1 03-30-2006 07:16 PM
Re: How to paste python code on wordpress? Dan Lowe Python 1 11-22-2005 02:18 PM
Re: How to paste python code on wordpress? Dan Lowe Python 1 11-22-2005 09:52 AM
WordPress Python Library 1.0 Michele Ferretti Python 14 05-04-2005 06:38 PM

Advertisments